Gonghi asked in HealthMen's Health · 8 years ago

Why do grown men watch My Little Pony?

Hi. I go on FunnyJunk a lot and there are people called bronies who watch MLP Friendship is Magic. They are the most obnoxious and pushy people ever. What I want to know is why adults, especially men watch this show that is intended for little girls. Are they taking the piss, saying it's a cool show or are they serious?

18 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    8 years ago
    Favorite Answer

Well, it would seem the targeted demographic is little girls, but really it isn't. It is chock-full of references that little girls wouldn't get (Star Trek, The Big Leboswki, James Bond, etc.).Also, Friendship is Magic is really different compared to the other previous My Little Pony shows that talked down to the viewers and just generally sucked. I mostly watch it because of the person behind the show, Lauren Faust. She is the person behind Foster's Home for Imaginary Friends which was one of my favorite shows as a little kid, she also made the Powerpuff Girls too. If you would watch an episode you would find out that it isn't all that weird to watch the show, it's just a really well animated and well written cartoon that you should at least give a try.

Source(s): Me, a brony of 14 years old and proud of it.
  • Anonymous
    5 years ago

Because the Old Generations are for LITTLE GIRLS! But now the new and improved Generation 4, My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic is getting Popular. Cuz the Animation is perfect, the Powerful Magic parts and the booms.. that proves that this show is not that Girly, and men like this cuz this teaches about the most important Magic: Friendship. Otherwise, I say I'm 10 in a half and consider myself a Pegasister. So ya..

• Anonymous
    8 years ago

Why do grown men like the show so much? The animation is fantastic, the episodes' writing are genius (not to mention the countless external references, like James Bond, Shakespeare, Metal Gear Solid, The Big Lebowski, I love Lucy, the list is endless), the characters are very well and deeply developed and likable, the Brony community is amazing and a lot of the members of it are really talented at what they contribute to the fandom, wether it is outstanding artwork, complex fan-fictions, amazing music, or just funny videos on YouTube. I don't know why you think we are "the most obnoxious and pushy people ever", but I do know that some of us can be really defensive when a hater or a troll decides to pay us a visit.

• 8 years ago

Although I understand your point that some fans may seem a bit pushy and may shove it in people's faces not eveyone is like that. The show while primarily targeted at a younger female audience was intended by Lauren Faust to appeal to the parents watching the show with their kids with more mature and subtle jokes targeted at adults. As a consequence many teenagers/adults male (including me being aged 17) and female started watching and enjoying the show. Everything about the show- the writing, voice acting, music, animation and characters are all great.

Source(s): Discusses origin and memes around show- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=olLDrvc1qt4 Discusses why many like the show- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SbBCrMMJ5a8
  • How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 8 years ago

I agree that there is a limit to pushing one's opinions. And unfortunately, pretty much any fandom, including that of MLP:FiM, is going to have people who are obnoxious like that. I'm a 16 year old dude, and I personally enjoy the show for it's fantastic animation, very well designed characters, humor, and the overall morals that the show offers. My opinion is that age or gender doesn't really matter, and that it's a show for anyone to enjoy. And while I think most of those bronies on funnyjunk do actually enjoy the show, it sounds like they are acting a bit too overbearing. Sorry you've had to deal with that. Most of the bronies I know genuinely enjoy the show for what it is like I do. :)

• 6 years ago

Im 18 and i like it xD why eh its fun to watch

• 8 years ago

I had the same mindset as you when my friend told me about it and how it was "the most epic show ever!" At first I thought it was for little girls but I was curious so I watched a few episodes on Youtube. Now, I've watched more episodes than he has and even know more about the MLP: FiM universe than he does. It is a cool show, it really is and it's not as girly as people think it is.

Source(s): 13-year old Bronie
  • Anonymous
    5 years ago

Well

I downloaded Metal Gear Solid V Ground Zeroes for free here: http://bit.ly/1uSFhz2

it's a perfectly working link, no scam!

It's a really nice game.

Bye Bye

• Anonymous
    4 years ago

The old generation of My Little Pony was aimed at young girls, but the new generation has improved a lot, and is aimed at a larger audience as well.

• Ryan
    Lv 4
    8 years ago

Sorry about some of my follow bronies some are near religion obsessed with the show but most of us are fine with people that don't like the cartoon (just not with the jerks that think we need to be *fixed*) anyway here is a link to a question i asked and it shows most bronies do not like it when other bronies try to force others into the show. http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index;_ylt=AuKmq... here are some reasons why it is bad to force it 1. people need to truly want to see the show forcing others makes them hate the show. 2 it is rude to force people. anyway you asked if we really think it is a good show i would say 95% do think it is a good show the other 5% are in to it because they like trolling people but most are fans of the show like me:) also so you know a brony is a fan of the show the word started off for just guys but now women use it to we like to stay united.

Source(s): Brony
Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.