Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureReligion & Spirituality · 8 years ago

Am I supposed to feel bad or guilty when I repent sins?

I have done all sorts of things I'm not proud of in my past (generally while really really drunk) and I've decided I want to stop. I want to stop being that person who everyone expects to sleep around and whatever. As part of trying to clean up, a religious friend has invited me to Church and he's basically trying to convert me, and I have no problem with that: the guy seems happy, and if it's the Church that's making him that happy then I'll give it a shot.

I don't know that much about Christianity, and there's one thing I want answered before I dive straight in, but I don't want to have to come completely clean with the religious dude about my past (I haven't known him long, he doesn't know too much about the drunken mess. And I'm slightly intimidated by his goodness). I've accepted the things I'm not proud of as part of my past and part of who I am today. But if I repent those things in Church as sins (because they are most definitely sinful) am I supposed to feel bad? Or guilty? Because I don't. Because there isn't a lot I can do about them now, so what's the point feeling bad about them? Had I not done them I wouldn't be who I am today, and I want to be me.

But am I supposed to feel guilty when I repent sins?

The friend in question is Pentecostal. I have no idea if this makes any difference but if it does, let me know.

Favorite Answer

Really i feel you. I have stolen, lied, cheated, and ruined friends relationships for my own personal fun and done many other hurtful things to people but i feel bad for them. You dont have to feel bad but make use you dont do the same things again. Also when you try to become a new man like you are now, dont go back, dont just give up trying you have to fight the whole thing out and not giving up.

Christ’s Sacrifice Once for All (Hebrews chapter 10)

1 The law is only a shadow of the good things that are coming—not the realities themselves. For this reason it can never, by the same sacrifices repeated endlessly year after year, make perfect those who draw near to worship. 2 Otherwise, would they not have stopped being offered? For the worshipers would have been cleansed once for all, and would no longer have felt guilty for their sins. 3 But those sacrifices are an annual reminder of sins. 4 It is impossible for the blood of bulls and goats to take away sins.

5 Therefore, when Christ came into the world, he said:

“Sacrifice and offering you did not desire,

but a body you prepared for me;

6 with burnt offerings and sin offerings

you were not pleased.

7 Then I said, ‘Here I am—it is written about me in the scroll—

I have come to do your will, my God.’”

8 First he said, “Sacrifices and offerings, burnt offerings and sin offerings you did not desire, nor were you pleased with them”—though they were offered in accordance with the law. 9 Then he said, “Here I am, I have come to do your will.” He sets aside the first to establish the second. 10 And by that will, we have been made holy through the sacrifice of the body of Jesus Christ once for all.

11 Day after day every priest stands and performs his religious duties; again and again he offers the same sacrifices, which can never take away sins. 12 But when this priest had offered for all time one sacrifice for sins, he sat down at the right hand of God, 13 and since that time he waits for his enemies to be made his footstool. 14 For by one sacrifice he has made perfect forever those who are being made holy.

15 The Holy Spirit also testifies to us about this. First he says:

16 “This is the covenant I will make with them

after that time, says the Lord.

I will put my laws in their hearts,

and I will write them on their minds.”

17 Then he adds:

“Their sins and lawless acts

I will remember no more.”

18 And where these have been forgiven, sacrifice for sin is no longer necessary.

So then no, you should not feel guilty, nor do you need to confess those past sins to anyone. Relax and go there to receive the Word of God.

• yesmar

One doesn't repent sins. "repent" means to turn around. You have to be convinced that the way you are going is wrong, to turn around and go the other way, otherwise, you are just playing religious games.

The definition of guilt is that you should feel the way you want to turn from is wrong.

• Sol

Of course, that's how you keep coming back to the church: out of guilt of not being good enough.

Religion is evil, and I suggest you don't "repent" since sin isn't even real.

You know in the Bible, "Jesus said, He didn't come here to call the holy, but He came here to call the sinners and outcasts." - Matthew 9:13 Because as Jesus said, what use is a doctor who comes in town to people who are well-off? Nothing! He only has use for people who are unwell (spiritually speaking, that is). He also said, He didn't come here to condemn people, but to save them.

some would say yes and some would say no. sounds like you've felt bad about them in the past but not now so i say God Bless and let the Holy Spirit guide you

• Satan

Repent means turn away and never look back

Sounds good that you want to come clean with God and get to church. You can pray the prayer here to get God's forgiveness, and then you don't need to be guilty anymore. God is love, and God can help you. When you are a Christian, then you can get God's guidance, help, and get to live in heaven forever after death, if you live a good, God-honoring life. If you live a life without knowing God, then you go to hell -- a bad place of suffering forever, when you die. Praying the prayer below will make you a Christian. Then, live it out with faith and love for God and Jesus Christ, love others, Bible study, prayer, and church. It's about having a relationship with God. God is our spiritual Father, Creator, life, love, all-powerful, all-knowing, holy, eternal.

This is how to know God -- the basic Christian message and prayer --- you need to accept God's Son, Jesus Christ, into your life to be a Christian and follow God's ways so you can receive God's guidance in your life and get to heaven after you die. Knowing God can transform your life. As God is love, life is primarily about love and relationships in order to have a rich and full life. Also, you need to know God's Son, Jesus Christ, in your life as your Lord and Savior as Jesus died on the cross as payment for our sins. Having Him with you will give you God's blessing and forgiveness, as you live God's way. Not following God leads to hell, eternal suffering. Instead, there is an important prayer to pray to become a Christian. This prayer should be said with faith in God and a sincere heart:

"Dear God, I know that I am a sinful person and I don't want to be like this anymore. I know that Jesus Christ died on the cross as payment for our sins, and I want to accept Jesus Christ into my life as my Lord and Savior so I can receive God's forgiveness, guidance, and go to heaven someday. Thank you, dear God, for your mercy and guidance; in Jesus' name. Amen."

This prayer can take you to a new place in your relationship with God and transform your life. After saying this prayer, you should check out a Christian church, like Baptist or Lutheran (not ELCA Lutheran). The church can get you baptized and prayed for, and you can pray for yourself daily.

The church can get you into their Bible study group so you can learn more about God, Jesus, and God's will for your life. The Bible is God's instruction book about how to live a God-honoring life so you can go to heaven after you die. Ways to stay connected to God's path include loving God and Jesus Christ, obeying God's ways, daily Bible reading, daily prayer for yourself and others, getting to church, having your church prayer group and/or pastor pray for you, fasting with prayer for a higher level of prayer, getting with other Christians and doing a Bible study, singing hymns to God, taking communion with the church, helping and loving others, expressing your gratitude to God for His help in your life by telling others of your progress and helping them draw closer to God too, tithing, volunteering at church. Continue to turn from sins and seek God's forgiveness in your life as you live your daily life. God guide your life.