Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Arts & HumanitiesBooks & Authors · 8 years ago

What author has had the most movies made of their work?

I would say Stephen King wins hands down.

Pet semetary, Christine, The Mist, Shawshank Redemption, Green Mile, Stand By Me, It, 1408, Dreamcatcher, Children of the corn, Hearts in Atlantis, Misery, Dolores Clayborne, The Shinning, Sometimes they come back, Creepshow, Cats eye, Firestarter, Carrie, Storm of the Century, Tommyknockers, The Stand, Needul things, and on and on with more to come im sure. What other author can top that?

Favorite Answer

Absolutely Shakespeare

It's Shakespeare, by a mile. There are over 800 movie adaptations of Shakespeare's plays. I don't think Stephen King's quite at that level yet. :)

Also, Charles Dickens (there's around 300ish Dickens movie adaptations) Ian Fleming, Bram Stoker (way more movies have been based on Dracula alone than on all Stephen King's books put together), Arthur Conan Doyle, Raymond Chandler... they've all definitely had more movies based on their work than Stephen King. Remember, movies are made all over the world, not just in the US, and also, a lot of writers have been having their books adapted into movies since the days of silent movies.

I would guess that King would be in the top 20 though. I reckon he's had more of his books adapted than anyone else writing in the last, say, 30 years - but of all time? Not even close.

Source(s): Studied literature-to-film adaptations at uni.

Shakespeare

I agree. I think he won that. No one else will probably top that.