Anonymous
Anonymous asked in HealthOptical · 9 years ago

How do MSM eye drops (to treat cataracts and glaucoma) work? What do they do when entering the eye?

I have been using these eye drops my doctor gave me to treat my cataracts (which i understand they are loose pigment in the iris or something like that) and the msm is supposed to get rid of them but. I thought eye drops only touched the surface of the eye ball and not go inside the cornea where the iris is. Is this true? Or do these eye drops in particular go inside the cornea where the iris is to treat all that loose pigment?

If so, how do you use them? Because my doctor said "tilt your head back, put in the eye drops and gently close your eye so the drop won't go in your nasal passage" he said that the drop will get delivered after a couple of minutes to the cornea. But I don't understand how that works. Am I supposed to keep my eyes shut facing towards the cealing? Or keep my eyes shut and face towards the ground so the eye drop can concentrate around the iris? And how far does it penetrate the layers of the eye? Because I worry it could go inside the pupil and damage my vision. Will it simply go around the pupil (the iris) and will it break down that pigment in the iris too? or just the one that is floating.

P.S. I don't often go to the doctor and I'm writing based on what I heard. I'm not sure if it is glaucoma or cataracts what I have but it does make my vision blurry) I just want to know how to use these eye drops so they can be delivered effectively where they're supposed to go.

Favorite Answer

By Earl Mindell

Think of your eyeball as a balloon full of water, but instead of being rubber, it is a protein membrane. Optical tissue normally allows fluids to flow through the membrane wall which acts like a filter, cleaning out harmful particles, keeping your eyes clear and your vision good as it allows nutrients to permeate. But should the membranes become tough like leather, the fluids are trapped and particles begin to accumulate. If this buildup continues, your vision will seem as if you're looking through frosted glass, a condition known as cataracts.

When eyedrops containing the proper amount of MSM are applied, the membrane becomes permeable, and this has reversed the problem. It is also important that the eye remain flexible so that the muscles can alter its contour and focus as needed. In the event that its membranes and muscles become rigid and tough, the eye will not be able to focus properly, resulting in blurred vision. The MSM in eyedrops soothes and softens the membranes, permitting fluids to pass through the optical tissues to stabilize the pressure, repair any damage, clear up red spots and bloodshot vessels, and remove floaters and other particles in the eye.

-----------------------------

I've had good success with them, but you do need to use them a few times a day. It is also recommended to take vitamin b complex and an ocular vitamin with them.

I don't know any special way to put them in. Don't worry too much about it. No evidence shows that they cause anything but beneficial effectsto the entire eye

This Site Might Help You.

RE:

I have been using these eye drops my doctor gave me to treat my cataracts (which i understand they are loose pigment in the iris or something like that) and the msm is supposed to get rid of them but. I thought eye drops only touched the surface of the eye ball and not go inside the cornea where...

Source(s): msm eye drops treat cataracts glaucoma work entering eye: https://tr.im/DLGfo

Learn How To Improve Eyesight!