Love asked in PetsDogs · 8 years ago

How can I stop my dog from eating trash?

Whenever i see my dog eating garbage I spray with white vinegar, and it isn't helping. she seems to like the flavor. Ive tried other sprays such as citronella etc., but she likes those too. I don't want to spray her eyes because she has very sensitive eyes and they might become damaged. Ive tried using a lid, but she knows how to open it. I also keep her on a leash at all times so I can pull her away, but she just keeps doing it. is there some command I can teach her to get her to stop, and how do I teach it?

Favorite Answer

Keep the trash out of her way keep lids on bins move bins where she cant get to them and exercise and train your dog its bored .

A couple of ideas. Sounds like your dog is getting at the household garbage, as in breaking into the can. My father in law did something to help his dog with this issue, and I'm going to get flack that it's abusive. So trust me I don't abuse my dogs but I think it could work. He actually made his dog fearful of the garbage can by placing the dog inside the can, he put the lid on for awhile but let him out shortly afterwards. That dog never went near a garbage can again!

But, you might want to assess the underlying issue. My guess is your dog is lacking in some activity, is bored wants to get into things and maybe isn't get enough nutrition in his regular diet. You could try more 'treats inside toys' to distract him. But I've known dogs who are just garbage dogs plain and simple. I use that apple anti-itch spray you can get at the pet store. Most dogs hate the taste of it, hence why it works when you spray things like your shoes that you don't want the dog to eat. When my dog misbehaves I sometimes squirt that in her mouth and she hates it. I've also used straight lemon juice, seems to work as well.

Also, teach your dog the word 'no' and the command 'leave it'. This has saved us time and time again. For the leave it command we would put treats on the floor in front of our dog and say leave it. If our dog left it alone, we gave her a DIFFERENT treat. Also handy common to teach your dog not to take food off of the tables. You can place a treat viewable to the dog, on the edge sort of it and also do the leave it trick. Then once your dog understands this, maybe make the garbage super tempting to him, take a few pieces out, tip it on it's side, make it so easily accessible to him. And then go about your business, watch some tv and let him go towards the garbage. When he's near, command him to 'leave it'. This may help but as soon as you leave him alone with the garbage he may just go to it anyways.

Definitely I agree with the others, the garbage needs a lid on it. Anything easily accessible to a dog is just too tempting. Maybe drag it to a room that can be closed, or under the sink like someone else suggested.

Have fun!

Source(s): Pet owner, pet sitter.

Put red pepper in with your trash, it wont harm your pet but the heavy scent will keep her away, even if she does eat it it will burn when she poops, (it will just be uncomfortable) she may continue eating trash for a bit but she'll learn to associate bathroom pain with eating garbage. make sure you're using the proper food as she may be deficient in a few vitamins that she can get from your garbage. exercise her to keep her from boredom. Keeping her on a leash 24/7 is only going to upset her, dogs need to be able to run.

Sorry but as long as there's garbage available, your dog will go after it. Move it - completely out of reach. It may mean you have to step outside or into the garage, but move it - anywhere your dog can't reach. And I'd do it before she gets into cooked bones and you end up with her on the operating table.

Prevention, always, with dogs.

• Pamela

How about placing it in a cabinet such as under sink.

Putting a lid on it with something heavy on it.

Take it outside more often.

I used to have a problem similar to this.

I bought some lemon juice (dogs hate that stuff) and when ever he did it, I put some lemon juice in his mouth and said "bad boy". Eventually he learned I wanted him to stop. Now we have no problem with him. Hope his helps.

I had to buy one and stick it under my sink.... honestly make's for a much classier home! who want's to see your trash???