promotion image of download ymail app
Promoted

FOR JEHOVAH's witnesses...?

first of all if you guys say that you call GOD by his personal name why is it JEHOVAH and not YHWH (YAHWEH). i believe this was the name GOD gave himself. JEHOVAH is corrupted meaning it is a mixture of the consonant of YHWH and vowels of ADONAI in the Hebrew language. (Hebrew vowels are like punctuation sign) thus giving the sound YAHOWAI. translated in Latin as JEHOVAH. this was done so that no one would take the name of YHWH in vain which is a sin its just like HASHEM meaning "The name". so if i would want to call GOD by HIS name it would be YHWH and not JEHOVAH.

and when JESUS appeared to HIS disciples the BIBLE clearly states that Thomas fell on the ground addressing to JESUS in those very words "MY LORD AND MY GOD.." and JESUS never stopped him. if JESUS allowed this statement this means that HE IS GOD.

don't say that he was shocked so exclaiming the words "O MY GOD" this would have been blasphemy and hence rebuked once more by JESUS. the Greek language is clear on this point.

i have many more questions but plz answer those few questions. i don't want references from other books or verses trying to turn what i've said. and yeah don't use your version of the BIBLE to be fair lets use the original one. no one is favored then.

Update:

i am not saying that i use king james or someone might correct it. use the hebrew and greek bible. then answer then no one can say it has errors. and for dust who is saying that thomas said MY GOD because of supremacy so according to you you have 2 gods.

15 Answers

Relevance
  • 8 years ago
    Favorite Answer

Former Jehovah's Witness here, and I am compelled to correct some mis-information you have been given by Jehovah's Witnesses in their answers.

One Jehovah's Witness said the Divine Name King James Version Bible had nothing to do with the Watchtower organisation. It is true the organisation is not responsible for this travesty of a "translation" but you need to know that it is the work of individual Jehovah's Witnesses who have paid for it.

Two other Jehovah's Witnesses have said that "Jehovah is the English translation of the Hebrew Yahweh" and they "went with what was commonly used in the Bible - that was Jehovah." Wrong. Jehovah ( /dʒɨˈhoʊvə/) is an anglicized representation of Hebrew יְהֹוָה, a vocalization of the Tetragrammaton יהוה (YHWH), the proper name of the God of Israel in the Hebrew Bible. Most scholars believe "Jehovah" to be a late hybrid form derived by combining the Latin letters JHVH with the vowels of Adonai (Lord).

How and when did the name Jehovah first come into use? ‘Let Your Name Be Sanctified’ says this about the origins of the name Jehovah: “All available evidence is that a Roman Catholic clergyman introduced that pronunciation” (page 18). That Roman Catholic clergyman was Raymundus Martini, a Dominican monk, who had been commissioned by the Pope to translate the Bible into Latin. The first recorded use of the name Jehovah occurred in 1270 AD in his book ‘Pugeo Fidei’. Prior to that, the name Jehovah was unknown to all the ancients, whether Jews or Christians.

Jehovah’s Witnesses used the King James Version up until 1950 when they published the NWT of the New Testament. The NWT of the Old Testament was published in parts from 1953 to 1960. The whole was revised for the one-volume edition in 1961, and subsequently revised in 1970 and 1984.

In the Old Testament (Hebrew Scriptures) the Divine Name is represented by the four consonants YHWH. This is known as the tetragrammaton. Because of the lack of vowels, Bible scholars do not know how it was pronounced. The closest we can get to pronouncing it is Yahweh. The Foreword (page 25) of the 1950 New World Translation of the Christian Greek Scriptures said this about the Divine Name: “While inclining to view the pronunciation ‘Yah.weh’ as the more correct way, we have retained the form ‘Jehovah’ because of people’s familiarity with it since the 14th century.” The name Jehovah was completely unknown prior to 1270.

Is there any justification for putting the name Jehovah in the New Testament? No, for the very simple and good reason that the Divine Name is not to be found in the Greek manuscripts (except where quoting from the Hebrew scriptures that used YHWH). God’s name was substituted with the Greek equivalent of God or Lord. And the name Jehovah did not exist at the time the Greek Scriptures (New Testament) were written.

As for John 20:28, the Greek words used by Thomas literally translate as "the Lord of me and the God of me." No wriggle-room there!

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • You have not asked a question. You have posted a ranting essay of your opinions about the divine Name, and old theories about how the name "Jehovah" was formed.

Regardless, there is not ONE ancient Hebrew manuscript of the Bible that has "Yahweh" in it. The Anchor Bible Dictionary correctly says that the form "Yahweh" is no more than a guess based on Greek writings, not Hebrew.

Jehovah's Witnesses recognize that "Jehovah" is the English (and a few other languages) form of YHWH, and that this name is pronounced differently in other languages spoken by Jehovah's Witnesses.

But for 400 years, in English, "Jehovah" has identified the true God of the Bible, just as the name "Jesus" identifies his Son. Therefore, use of the English term "Jehovah" is sufficient for English Bibles and for people whose language is English.

Strange that you speak so negatively about "Jehovah," but apparently have no problem with "Jesus," which is also not how the name is said in Hebrew.

Such inconsistency merely displays an irrational bias against the English form "Jehovah."

Source(s): Common sense
  • 8 years ago

Let me use an illustration. Let's say you have a son. Your son may have several names...for instance. Some people give a first name, even a couple middle names and naturally a last name. You may have a nickname for that son, your wife may even use a few endearments and call him that. The point here is this; a name is IMPORTANT. Just go over to the baby names category on here and you will see how important by all the questions and answers. You would not have a child and neglect to give him or her a name and you wouldn't just go around say "hey you". By using a name you become intimate with that person. That is the same with Jehovah. As far as "Lord & God", those are NOT names, they are titles. AND, they can be used additionally. It is a personal and intimate thing to use HIS name. The son Jesus Christ had other names and terms applied to him as well. Here is an article that goes into the subject more and it will reference other articles. You can also do a search on the web-site under "Divine Name":

Do You Know God by Name?

--The Fight Against God's Name

http://www.watchtower.org/e/20040122/article_02.ht...

• Why do you call him Jesus and not Yeshua than? Why does anyone use the Jesus form than?

And that goes for many names in the bible like Joshua, Job. Most use an English known version for the name.....that's all

No that wouldn't have been blasphemy.. He didn't say you are the one and only true God Almighty Jehovah did he?

Simon Peter answered, "You are the Christ, the Son of the living God."

Mary -Lazarus sister proclaim the same. Neither were corrected by Jesus himself . That fact is this Trinity was not part of their teachings at all and no where were they told to proclaim that.

If it was that important they would have been told to make that know for salvation--but they weren't

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 8 years ago

If you are arguing that we ought to use only the original Hebrew version of God's name then why aren't you doing so yourself? The wisdom from above does not make partial distinctions and is not hypocritical. (James 2:17)

For the very thing you criticize us for doing, you do yourself. For you say that Jesus is God yet you use the ENGLISH form "Jesus" instead of the original Hebrew pronunciation of the name! If Jesus truly is God, then by your purist-linguist reasoning it is equally important to use the original form YHSh instead of "Jesus", as it is to use YHWH instead of "Jehovah". You are being not a little hypocritical! (Romans 2:1, 3, 21a)

Because of such hypocrisy, all Trinitarians who argue against "Jehovah" on purist-linguist grounds put themselves on judgment as not worthy of salvation. How so? Acts 4:12 says, in part: "...there is NOT ANOTHER NAME under heaven that has been given among men by which we must get saved". Since "Jesus" is not the original Hebrew name given, then according to this text and your purist-linguist reasoning, you have NO SALVATION through the name "Jesus"!

Source(s): Matthew 7:2
  • fire
    Lv 5
    8 years ago

well those are interesting scriptures, but really who did Jesus pray too? at any time? fact also is that proverbs chapter 8 describe Jesus as having a beginning. also it was common for people like governors and very wealthy people or people of influence to be called gods.

regarding the name of God, well, if your name is richard in usa, it may be ricardo in mexico or spain, is that incorrect? answer is no. also Jesus is a common name, his real name is Yeshua. since there is no J in the hebrew language and J is silent in latin. also there is a scripture in the bible like in Colossians or Corinthians where Jesus gives the kingdom back to his father God or Jehovah (Yahweh). so question there is if Jesus is in heaven, why give the restored kingdom to a part of a trinity if all are there in heaven anyway, and Jesus be sitting at the right hand in a subordinate position. that scripture states all things will be in subjection to God. not a trinity. so with the theme of the bible Jesus is a divine person, he is as Jesus identifies himself as being created by God directly.

Yes some say thomas said o my God, but really that is a relationship or slang for Jesus as the bible would identify Jesus a God, Master Worker and Prince. these titles would be understood as elevated positions in their culture. so calling Jesus as a God is an acceptable formality. also, Jesus himself stated something to that as there are many Gods and Lords. that is the context of that situation because we know that Jehovah himself said clearly there are no other God in the Hebrew scriptures.

• Anonymous
    8 years ago

You are trying to separate Wind from the Air...

When Thomas addressed Yeshua (although you may call Him Jesus too) He had been resurrected and elevated to the Glory He had "before the World was", meaning that He was the Supreme, after His Father who created Him.

Does it really mean a difference of death and life to call the Father Yahweh? Or Jehovah? It is up to you, for "use discernment the reader" does not mean much to you, who seem to have knowledge, but little understanding. Do you mean to tell me you will not enter the Kingdom of God because you call the Father Jehovah, yet "the prostitutes and the Tax collectors are going ahead of you to the Kingdom of God"? It just does not make sense from God Almighty.

Your position is - to my understanding - is more a bashing for the JW and not a real yearning to "know" the Truth. I am not a JW yet I perceive that in your words. Do not be like that; be positive "for all is legal, yet not all is edifying" and even if you are in error when you call upon Jehovah instead of YHWH, as Paul inspired said "even the bad (which is not in this case) will work for the good". Just revere the name of God (call Him Yahweh if you want) and do not use Him in vain, for nothing.

• grnlow
    Lv 7
    8 years ago

Actually, it can be correctly translated EITHER as YHWH or as JHVH. Both are correct in English translations. So you are wrong right off the bat. Not a good start. How does it feel to be wrong so much?

It comes as no shock, or should not, even though you may be able to read Hebrew and Greek, that you would not be able to understand what you read accurately.

• 8 years ago

First of all JW's went with what was commonly used in the bible that was Jehovah. Did God personally tell you his name wasn't Jehovah? Second when Thomas said My Lord and my God how do you know that he never meant My Lord Jesus and My God Jehovah? Didn't Paul say in 1 Corinthians 8:6 There is only one God The Father and One Lord Jesus Christ?

• BJ
    Lv 7
    8 years ago

There is a new King James Bible out that has God's name in it 6972 times, go to www.dnkjb.net

The King James Bible has been updated by a scholar who used Catholic and other references to put Gods name back into the places that 'forewords' of too many translations have admitted they removed.

It is the same as your KJ except the name has been added. Finally someone has corrected the King James Bible.

The Watchtower Org. had nothing to do with this Bible.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.