environmental engineering?

I'm in college right now and I was wondering what environmental engineers actually do. Do they sit at a desk or do they usually get to work outside in nature? What specifically or types of projects would they work on? Do they get to travel? Do environmental engineers get to choose what they want to work on? Is there alot of freedom and flexibility in the job?

I'm really into nature and was wanting to help the environment, but at the same time it seems kind of futile. I was also thinking about ecology and conversation or something like that. Basically my life goals are to just own land, have a large garden for food, have a horse, a few livestock and to have a small house. I'm into survivalist things too and learning about plants and such. I really just don't want to be sucked into the American typical life of working your life away. So anyways, how about that environmental engineering?

• Cahill
    Best Answer

Environmental engineering is the application of science and engineering principles to improve the natural environment (air, water, and/or land resources), to provide healthy water, air, and land for human habitation, plants, animals, etc. They often tackle remediation of polluted sites. It involves waste water management and air pollution control, recycling, waste disposal, radiation protection, industrial hygiene, environmental sustainability, and public health issues as well as a knowledge of environmental engineering law. They are often used to produce environmental impact studies and reports on proposed construction projects.

Beside organic and organic Chemistry, Microbiology is likewise advised because of the area in sewage scientific care calculations of B.O.D. (organic and organic oxygen call for) and C.O.D.(chemical oxygen call for)