What similarities are there between the Jehovah's Witnesses and the Pharisees?

I noticed the Jehovah's Witnesses like to contrast themselves to the Pharisees, but aren't they more similar than different?

The name Pharisees means "Set Apart" and don't the Jehovah's Witnesses condemn the "mixing" of religions (unless of course it is to convert to theirs)? Don't Jehovah's Witnesses have a policy of separateness and being apart from the whole, wide, wicked world?

Also the Jehovah's Witness Elders rule with legalism. It's an over-emphasis on discipline of conduct, or legal ideas, it's a misguided rigor, pride, superficiality, the neglect of mercy, and ignorance of the grace of God or emphasizing the letter of law over the spirit.

That's exactly how I would describe the Jehovah's Witnesses. What other religion has hundreds of little rules controlling every aspect of their lives? Just like the Pharisees with their strict adherence to Mosaic law.

So basically a religion where they live apart and have a bunch of little rules controlling every little thing? Can anyone think of any other similarities?

@ Call me Gary - Send me an email if you are real which I doubt. This fake niceness and deception is horrible. Jehovah's Witnesses do NOT associate with people of other faiths, you attempt to convert them and if you can't you move on. Do you have a few beers with boys after work, Gary? Do you have a lot of non-JW friends? Do a lot of inter-faith (yet all Christians) work, do you?

And I hardly call the fear of being disfellowshipped or cut off from all friends and family being "shepherded" by the kindly, nice elders of the Kingdom Hall. You have hundreds of little rule with many disfellowshippable offenses. It's ridiculous. Especially how you treat your abused women.

This is no apostate website, Gary. How you treat your current and former members is a prime indicator of your religion.

http://www.silentlambs.com/personal_experiences/ab...

@ O Life - I don't think I can technically could be an apostate since I never joined your "religion"... Perhaps you should try reading the Bible instead of the watchtower for a change? Luke 6: 26 - 37.

Favorite Answer

Hey PoopyFace, I agree with you 100% and, unfortunately for those that remain within the organization today, including those that post on this site, cannot understand the reality of it all nor can they see that they are being micro-managed by their elders/organization as were the Jews in Jesus' day. On the surface, especially to a newly associated one, everything seems to be wonderful, being showered with seemingly loving expressions of encouragement and support for aligning themselves with God's "arc-like" organization. Oh, really?

As time goes on, however, without their being aware, they eventually are subject to "shepherding" to a group-think mentality where "independent" thinking, no matter how sincere or whether based on Scripture ones view is, becomes strongly discouraged and, if one persistently continues to pursue a line of thought not in "vogue" with the Society's "current" set of doctrines, such ones become subject to judicial action. This process can only be described as mind-control, in cult-like fashion. Does freedom of speech exist in the organization today? NO, and that is very sad, preventing spiritual brothers and sisters from contributing to the "entire association" of brothers and sisters with personal wisdom gleaned from their own personal study and prayer. Unless the information comes directly from Brooklyn (or wherever the GB is located nowadays), or is parroted directly from the Society's publications, it is NOT to be believed nor trusted and is to be rejected immediately, with notice of such heresy reported to the elders.

Pharisaical? Yes, most definitely!

Kitledge, a very happy and content ex-JW ('62-'85), former pioneer, M.S. and elder, KM School overseer.

Live, love and laugh!

I been a Jehovah's witness for more than 12 years now, and none of the things you wrote describe us at all. It is the Elders responsibility to shepperd his lambs and to advice members of the congregation when needed Hebrews 13:7, 1 Thessalonians 5:12-13. If a particular member's behavior is inappropriate certain measures need to be taken, just like good parents would do for their child, 1 Thessalonians 2:11-12. Nobody likes to be discipline but the motives behind it is love Hebrews 12:6,11. If we "Set Apart" we do it with good reason, ever herd of "One rotten apple rottens the rest? 2Corinthians 6:14-18,1 Corinthians 15:33 this is how Jehovah protects those who belong to Him. When we go out on service to preach, we do so out of love for Jehovah and his son Jesus, it is that love that drives us to obey Him and do his bit-ting John 14:15, to seek out those who are just and wish to learn the word of God and be saved Matthew 24:14, 28:19,20. Nobody controls us for God gave us freedom of choice as to whom to serve Deuteronomy 30:19,20. And as you can see with all these Bible references, I am backing up everything I've written so you can see where Jehovah's witness base their teachings. I encourage you to find every single one of those Scriptures in your own Bible, and hope you view us differently.

• Mariel

You actually gave the answer to your own question, that I was prepared to give. Star for you.

I think there are many such fringe sects (cults?) that can also qualify. The LDS (Mormons); the SDA; the Southern Baptists, etc. are very similar in the same regard.

Christ warned people not to follow "false shepherds" and yet we have so many of our brothers & sisters who have been led astray by these self-important, self-proclaimed "prophets" such as Joseph Smith, Charles Taze Russell, and Ellen G. White.

• Mr smart5 years agoReport

Well I know that you are one of the false prophets that Christ warned of. you have been lying to so many religious and nonreligious people on here and you are a sick retarded waste. I will pray for you and ask God to show you the truth.

The first part about being separate from the world is true, but Jesus was no part of the world and stated his followers aren't either.

(1 John 2:15-17) Do not be loving either the world or the things in the world. If anyone loves the world, the love of the Father is not in him; 16 because everything in the world—the desire of the flesh and the desire of the eyes and the showy display of one’s means of life—does not originate with the Father, but originates with the world. 17 Furthermore, the world is passing away and so is its desire, but he that does the will of God remains forever.

(John 17:15-16) “I request you, not to take them out of the world, but to watch over them because of the wicked one. 16 They are no part of the world, just as I am no part of the world.

My daughter is atheist, my husband IDK anymore, Daddy and rest of family trinity believing christians. I love them and am constantly around them. So I do associate with all religions on here and in my daily life. Ask danman and Galatians about me. I show love and respect to ALL, unless you piss me off, then I take you to the "Old Biddy" school from the south.

GARY is real and a good guy, don't dis him, you a$$-u-me a little to much sometimes.

It's obvious you don't like JW much but you are suppose to love everybody just as Jesus commanded (John 13:34-35) I am giving YOU a new commandment, that YOU love one another; just as I have loved YOU, that YOU also love one another. 35 By this all will know that YOU are my disciples, if YOU have love among yourselves.”

Shame on you poopy face

Source(s): JW

1) don't the Jehovah's Witnesses condemn the "mixing" of religions

If you mean incorporate other religious teachings into Christianity, the Bible condemns it.

If you mean associating with people who are Christians, you have the wrong understanding. We associate with people of all religions.

2) Don't Jehovah's Witnesses have a policy of separateness and being apart from the whole, wide, wicked world?

It is a separateness of morals and standards. We keep Bible morals and standards regardless if it is popular or not.

3) Also the Jehovah's Witness Elders rule with legalism.

Again you misunderstand. The elders do not rule. They shepherd. They do their best to follow in Jesus footsteps. They guide the congregation according to what was set up in the first century. There is no rigor, pride, superficiality, the neglect of mercy, or ignorance of the grace of God. It is sad you think this but I understand why. Your information is wrong because the only information about us you make your own are from those who oppose us and will not listen to Jehovah's Witnesses themselves.

Talk to us rather than at us. You tell us what we believe rather than we tell you what we believe. Your opinion was formed from the minds of those who hate and and lie about good Christian's.

edit:

"This fake niceness and deception is horrible."

What are you talking about? You seriously calling me fake and deceiving?!? LOL

"Jehovah's Witnesses do NOT associate with people of other faiths, you attempt to convert them and if you can't you move on."

Yes we do associate with people of faiths. I have family who are not Christians and I have many friends as well. While I tend to associate with those who believe as I do, I make time for my friends who are not Christians. They know what to expect while we are out and I take advantage in sharing the truths about the kingdom of God... or reinforce with them things I have already talked about.

"Do you have a few beers with boys after work, Gary?"

I work with 4 others guys in our office. If they were drinkers, I would gladly go have a drink with them.

"Do you have a lot of non-JW friends?"

Yes I do. I grew up with many people who I still keep in touch with. I do not throw people away as you insinuate.

"And I hardly call the fear of being disfellowshipped or cut off from all friends and family being "shepherded" by the kindly, nice elders of the Kingdom Hall."

You frame your opinion of this from those who were disfellowshiped. You do not have accurate information. No Jehovah's witnesses are in fear of being disfellowshiped. We have the correct frame of mind in relationship to the elders.

Care to list the 100's of rules?

Attempting salvation by works.

I ain't trying to be funny but this seems like a question a pharisee would ask.

They're all crazy as bat $hit.

@Gary and @Biddy - don't waste your time. You are throwing your pearls to another swine.

EDIT:

I didn't call you an apostate. You assumed that only apostates we consider "swines".

Here is the scripture:

Matthew 7:6 "Do not give what is holy to dogs, neither throw YOUR pearls before swine, that they may never trample them under their feet and turn around and rip YOU open."

Jesus is saying there is no use continually giving you our truths when you are going to just trample them under your feet. You are constantly asking the same questions in different ways. You do not want to know for sincere purposes. You want to rip us open as it were. Therefore, I am telling all JW's do not waste your time.

Perhaps you should try reading the Bible and quit being so concerned about "saving us" and it isn't even sincere. Your avatar looks like you are always angry.

• ...