Young Adult/Teen Book Recommendations?

I just finished reading the Hunger Games series, so I'm looking for something new to read. Can anyone recommend a Teen or Young Adult book/series in the scifi/fantasy genre?

Thank you!

12 Answers

Relevance
  • 8 years ago
    Best Answer

Below are some of my favorite scifi / dystopian, similar to Hunger Games.

The Shore of Monsters and Fall of Darkness by David J. Nix - Five generations earlier, a horde of monsters nearly obliterated humanity. All males are dead or ruined by a monster plague; words like 'father' and 'romance' have lost meaning. When teenager Sky joins an expedition to the shore that falls apart, she must survive amongst the monsters that roam the ruins. She gets unexpected help from a very surprising source. Mystery, action, and romance follow!

Dustlands by Moira Young – In a post-apocalyptic future, 18-year-old Saba’s twin brother is stolen by black-clad riders. When tough-as-nails Saba launches a relentless search to recover him, she must fight for her life in gladiator cages, overcome enemies both creature and human, and learn to trust others for the first time. And try as she might, she can’t help but fall for the charming scoundrel Jack, who just may understand her more than she knows. The author tells Saba’s story in a raw first person format that blows you away. Must read for dystopian lovers!

The Forest of Hands and Teeth by Carrie Ryan - Seven generations have passed since the Return, a plague that reanimates dead humans into creatures that feed on the living. Teenager Mary lives inside one of the last enclaves of uninfected, protected by a chain link fence that surrounds her village. When the fence is breached, Mary flees the village with a small band of survivors. Their flight toward an uncertain salvation is both harrowing and revealing, as they try to determine if they are humanity’s last hope.

Shipbreaker by Paolo Bacigalupi - In a near future where oil has run dry, grounded oil tankers are scavenged for parts by teenage crews. Seventeen-year-old Nailer works the dangerous duty, hoping to survive his job and his murderous father. When he discovers a luxury yacht wrecked by a storm, he faces a difficult decision: scavenge the ship to become rich, or rescue the sole survivor, a beautiful, wealthy teenage girl. His decision propels him into more danger, adventure, and love than he had ever counted on!

How I Live Now by Meg Rosoff - Fascinating novel about the outbreak of a 21st century world war as seen through the eyes of Daisy, a 15 year old American staying with her cousins on a remote England farm. At first utopian, the kid's existence degenerates into horror as the war encroaches on the farm. Through the several month period covered by the story, Daisy grows from a self-centered girl into a determined survivor. This book will leave a mark on the reader for years to come.

Uglies by Scott Westerfield - In a future society, a mandatory operation at age 16 wipes out physical differences, turning "Uglies" into "Pretties". The Pretties are allowed freedom to play, while the Uglies jealously await their turn. Ugly Tally has gotten into trouble that may forfeit her operation. The menacing government offers her a way out: find a group of rebel Uglies, infiltrate, and betray them. Tally agrees, but upon finding the rebels comes to understand the terrible price of becoming pretty.

Life as We Knew It by Susan Beth Pfeffer - The moon has moved closer to Earth and the resulting calamities have resulted in the death of most people. The story, told through the eyes of a teen girl, chronicle the aftermath.

Shade’s Children by Garth Nix – Extra-dimensional beings cause all adults to suddenly disappear. A mysterious entity called Shade rallies a group of teens to fight the invaders. (Sounds a little like "Gone", but this was written many years earlier).

Across the Universe by Beth Revis

Delirium by Lauren Oliver

Divergent by Veronica Roth

Enclave by Ann Aguirre

Gone by Michael Grant

Incarceron by Catherine Fisher

Matched by Allie Condy

Maze Runner by James Dashner

Shatter Me by Tahereh Mafi

Unwind by Neal Shusterman

World War Z by Max Brooks

• 8 years ago

City of Bones (Mortal Instruments Series)- Cassandra Clare

Clockwork Princess- Cassandra Clare

Uglies/Pretties series- by Scott Westerfeld

Tithe- Holly Black

Wicked Lovely- Melissa Marr

Night World- L.J. Smith

Strange Angels- Lili St. Crow

Poison Study- Maria V Snyder

The Host- This is by Stephenie Meyer, but it is MUCH better than Twilight.

Vampire Academy- Richelle Mead (Sounds dumb, but was actually really good!)

Nevermore- Kelly Creagh

-I've read about 200 books and these ones are the most memorable to me! I hope it helps! You could also go on a site called Goodreads.com and read about each of these books. They'll have a star rating, a bunch of comments/reviews, and a summary!

• 8 years ago

The Iron Fey series

• 8 years ago

Lily of the Nile

Alex Rider

Beastly

I am Number 4

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 8 years ago

Confessions of an Ugly Stepsister - Gregory Maguire

• 8 years ago

Shatter Me

The Hunger Games

Matched and Crossed

I've read these and they r pretty good(:

• 8 years ago

The Perks of Being A Wallflower be Stephen Chbosky

My all-time favorite book. It's just so magnificent. It'll have you laughing and crying. Omg so good. Read it.

• Maggie
    Lv 4
    4 years ago

I read a book in AP..it was interesting...you mite like it The Bread Giver - Anzia Yezierska

• 8 years ago

Eragon.

Never read it but my friend has and she loved it.

It's a 3 book series :

http://www.alagaesia.com/

You can find them there^

Source(s): cousin
  • Anonymous
    8 years ago

A Wrinkle in Time

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.