Would you mind answering a few Dog Adoption questions?

Due to not being at home 24/7, my breeder suggested to adopt a 1/2 year old dog instead of getting a puppy. I found this quite reasonable and I agree due to people not being at home for a good 7 hours a day. Would it still be ok to get one of these dogs?? I'm just not really sure what to expect. Is it the... show more Due to not being at home 24/7, my breeder suggested to adopt a 1/2 year old dog instead of getting a puppy. I found this quite reasonable and I agree due to people not being at home for a good 7 hours a day. Would it still be ok to get one of these dogs??

I'm just not really sure what to expect. Is it the same as getting a puppy in the home in terms how how you should treat it? Are these dogs necessarily going to be house trained? Also what breeds will do well in my family which has no other cats/dogs but has 2 children, 1 of age 16 and the other aged 12. I am prone towards chosing either the shiba inu or akita. It is more likely going to be the shiba inu but they are in short supply. I was initially hesitant of getting an akita as i did not know how i would socialise it to other dogs and cats but do you think it would be ok if i adopted one?
Update: Haha yes that's what i am planning! I want to adopt a 1/2 year old dog