math fail asked in PetsDogs · 8 years ago

Would you mind answering a few Dog Adoption questions?

Due to not being at home 24/7, my breeder suggested to adopt a 1/2 year old dog instead of getting a puppy. I found this quite reasonable and I agree due to people not being at home for a good 7 hours a day. Would it still be ok to get one of these dogs??

I'm just not really sure what to expect. Is it the same as getting a puppy in the home in terms how how you should treat it? Are these dogs necessarily going to be house trained? Also what breeds will do well in my family which has no other cats/dogs but has 2 children, 1 of age 16 and the other aged 12. I am prone towards chosing either the shiba inu or akita. It is more likely going to be the shiba inu but they are in short supply. I was initially hesitant of getting an akita as i did not know how i would socialise it to other dogs and cats but do you think it would be ok if i adopted one?

Haha yes that's what i am planning! I want to adopt a 1/2 year old dog

If you're going to adopt a dog, I suggest that you actually do adopt a dog and not purchase one. The difference? Saving a life.

Sorry about my short rant, I do not suggest an Akita or Husky if you don't have a whooooole lot of time for grooming and exercise. These breeds tend to have alot of energy which can turn into destructive behavior if not properly vented. Your kids are both old enough to know how to treat animals with respect so they shouldn't be an issue.

My advice for you would be to go to your local animal shelter and visit some of the dogs there. You may find exactly what you're looking for as these dogs are often overlooked due to their age.

Source(s): Volunteering

I think the best thing for you to do if you're not going to be home to train a puppy is adopt an older, well mannered dog from your local shelter or rescue. Honestly, if you're not going to be able to spend time with the pup (and it takes a lot of time) to train it, get an older (2yr plus) dog that you won't have to spend as much time with. Training takes a lot of dedication, most people get puppies, don't have the time or patience to train and send them back to a shelter. Its very sad. There is a website called perfectdog or theperfectdog and it gives you a ton of info for th perfect dog. Its 60 bucks but worth it if you don't have all the time in the world. If you do get a pup, good luck!

Source(s): Adoptive mom of 2 wonderful huskies and a german shep/collie mix :)

Those dogs need a lot of work. I can tell you that to house train a dog can be a hard thing if your gone for long periods of time.

Different breeds have different characteristics. You should find a dog that matches your temperment from a local breeder or animal shelter.