Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentPolitics · 8 years ago

Do you agree with Conservatives, that Obama is the first President to publicly disagree with the Supreme Court?

Conservatives seem to be under the impression that no president has ever expressed disagreement or disapproval for a Supreme Court ruling.

This is similar to how Conservatives think that Obama is the first President to ever read from a teleprompter, or give a pre-written speech of any kind.

Reagan was IN LOVE with his teleprompter. Liberals never made an issue of it, because it wasn't an issue. Cons have to make an issue about Obama using the teleprompter as a means to divert their true hate-filled & racist feelings in to other manifestations that would not incriminate them as easily.

16 Answers

Relevance
  • David
    Lv 7
    8 years ago
    Favorite Answer

Obama has previously questioned the Supreme Court on the Citizens United ruling. This is not new for him, nor is it new for a President to be critical.

Consider FDR when the equally Republican dominated Court rejected the National Recovery Act, as usual preferring a depression to a Democrat led recovery. Look the newspapers of the day and you will find the Hearst columnists goosing themselves across the page about it.

Consider Reagan on Roe v. Wade. There was nowhere near the outrage from the left, perhaps, but it was still a President criticizing a Supreme Court ruling.

The fact is that over the years the Supremes have got it wrong on the big ones. They completely pooched the Dred Scott decision. In a democracy we have the right to criticize every arm of government, and the Supreme Court is definitely that.

I will dare to suggest that this outrage is to distract the public from the race violence by Republican rednecks against blacks.

• Login to reply the answers
  • 8 years ago

Being a conservative, and over the age of 18, I know presidents have disagreed with the supreme court, the most memorable being FDR and Nixon. Obama is the first to use his influence as President to try to sway the USSC's decisions (even FDR didn't try that). A better question would be "Does Obama really believe the USSC has never over turned an unconstitutional law?"

Liberals never made an issue of reagan's teleprompter, because Reagan could have answered from a position he actually believed in, as opposed to Obama who gets his position on an issue from the teleprompter.

Could you link to where a conservative actually said "Obama is the first President to publicly disagree with the Supreme Court." - thanks

Obama, says he's for the poor, but votes for and approves mind boggling amounts of money for fat cat bailouts (and that does not even include the fed buying tainted assets). There is a lot of hypocrasy in Washington, and most of it belongs to Obama.

• He is not the first President to try intimidation when he felt he wasn't going to get his way. FDR beat him to it. And he didn't publicly disagree with the Supreme Court, he implied that they would be going against the public will if they tossed his health care reform.

You can obfuscate the issue anyway you want. It doesn't negate the fact that Obama threw a temper tantrum and then proved that the assertion that he's a constitutional scholar is liberal malarkey by implying that the "unelected Supreme Court" would be taking an unprecedented action in overturning ObamaCare. Apparently, he's too stupid to read history or he'd know that that is what the Supreme Court has been doing for the last 209 years.

• Anonymous
    8 years ago

"I'm confident that the Supreme Court will not take what would be an unprecedented, extraordinary step of overturning a law that was passed by a strong majority of a democratically elected Congress," Obama said.

Obama, a former constitutional lawyer, believes that it would be "unprecedented" for the Supreme Court to overturn a law made by Congress. That is more than simple disagreement, he is practically challenging its authority to overturn it. And as a former constitutional lawyer, he should know very well that it is hardly unprecedented or outside of the court's power.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 8 years ago

Nobody said he was the first. But he sure does like to threaten anyone who may disagree with him. As for the teleprompter, the difference is that Reagan could go off of it and still speak beautifully.

• Joshua
    Lv 5
    8 years ago

No, I don't think he's the first. Heck, I've publicly disagreed with the Supreme Court. I just think it's hilarious.

• Anonymous
    8 years ago

No all what coming out of Cons it is talking points of there Masters puppeteers !

Your Question I added to the star list. My Brother you doing good job do not stop!.

• 8 years ago

FDR DISAGREED with the SUPS so much he threatened to increase the court by appointing another 5 or 6 and packing it with his lackies and pals!

Im not kidding!

• 8 years ago

No he is the first one to chalenge the Supreme Courts authority to review laws and to strike down ones it finds unconstitutional.

Just so there is no confusion:

“Ultimately I am confident that the Supreme Court will not take what would be an unprecedented, extraordinary step of overturning a law that was passed by a strong majority of a democratically elected Congress."

it is certainly not unprecedented for the supreme court to overturn a law.

• 8 years ago

Absolutely not. Just the lie-generating machine at work and the mindless parrots repeating what they are told to repeat. .

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.