Life
Lv 4
Life asked in Politics & GovernmentPolitics · 8 years ago

Is it true that ObamaCare forces people to buy health insurance?

If not, risk going to jail and face a fine.

Update:

If ObamaCare requires/forces people to buy health insurance, if not be fined, then how does this supposed to help the poor? I don't get it.

Update 2:

Please, leave all the political bias aside, I want an honest answer, yes or no.

24 Answers

Relevance
  • 8 years ago
    Favorite Answer

No it does not. It does require you (unless you are Amish) to have insurance coverage. But you do not have to buy it, you can get it for example, from you job.

The reforms are about making health insurance affordable.

I hope you find the links below of use.

• craig6 years agoReport

Leave stupid bigot.

• Login to reply the answers
  • 3 years ago

I recommend one to visit this internet site where onel can get rates from the best companies: http://QUOTES-FOR-INSURANCE.NET/index.html?src=2YA...

RE :Is it true that ObamaCare forces people to buy health insurance?

If not, risk going to jail and face a fine.

Update: If ObamaCare requires/forces people to buy health insurance, if not be fined, then how does this supposed to help the poor? I don't get it.

Update 2: Please, leave all the political bias aside, I want an honest answer, yes or no.

2 following 22 answers

• Anonymous
    8 years ago

It does require people to buy health insurance. There is no "jail", but people who refuse to buy health insurance will have to pay a tax penalty, which is like a fine.

There are subsidies available for those who cannot afford it.

The idea is to make sure that people don't go uninsured and then stick the bill to the hospital when they get sick, because this causes everyone else's costs to go up.

• daisy
    Lv 6
    8 years ago

who do you think will be paying for the poor the people who have insurance now, and te rates have already started to climb. nobody will see a $2,500 drop in their premiums. even the CBO came out last week and said it would cost double what obama said. their plan is to dump all of us into medicaid. the bottom of health care. you might take note that the senators did not read the bill, obama did not read the bill, and exemptions are rampant for unions, who obviously did read the bill and saw how bad it was. plus it took $2.1 billion in bribes to get the votes. take a few minutes and try and plow through and see what their plans are. companies under 50 employees will be exempt s this will also cost jobs and has started already. the sad part of this is there will still be millions uninsured.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 8 years ago

Yes that is the unconstitutional part of the law.

Health care is not one of the enumerated powers given to the Federal Government in the Constitution.

The Federal government has managed to get around any restriction on their jurisdiction by using the Commerce Clause. That clause giver the Federal Government the authority to regulate interstate commerce.

The thing is if you don't buy health insurance you ARE not not engaging in commerce so what is are the Feds regulating

• Joshua
    Lv 5
    8 years ago

No! No. You'll just have to an extra tax if you don't buy it. Taxes aren't punitive! They're not FORCING you to buy it; just, you know doubling your costs if you don't. Nobody has a gun to your head. Well, except the IRS SWAT teams being set up to enforce the tax.

That's not really force though, right? SWAT teams have a history of serving unnecessarily lethal no knock search warrants, sure, but I'm confident the same administration that let the BATFE walk guns to Mexican drug cartels can handle lethal force tax enforcement.

Did I say "lethal force"?

I meant "kittens".

I'm fricking giddy about ObamaCare.

• John5 years agoReport

you are a idiot... Warrants or Swat has not changed in 30 years so get over it.

IRS swat? really.. all depts city county state fed that have code or laws have police. Most depts only have 1-10 cops and only a few have a swat team since they can use marshals

• No it doesn't force you to buy health insurance. It just COERCES you to buy health insurance by imposing a tax or maybe it called a fine or.....NO it's a tax....

• 8 years ago

Honest answer? NO Cut and Dried?

The latest news as of MONDAY, April 10, 2012...

FEDERAL JUDGE DECLARES OBAMACARE UNCONSTITUTIONAL. THE INDIVIDUAL MANDATE in Obamacare is declared unconstitutional say 11th Circuit Court Judges. Reuters, CNN, FOX news, ABC news, CBS news. Washington Times, Washington Post...the internet. Honest enough? Hope so.

Source(s): Supreme Court Judges
  • Anonymous
    5 years ago

Get insurance quotes

• The jail part is not true. However, the mandatory purchase of health care is required or a fine will be assessed. The IRS will be used as a vehicle for ensuring that the fines are collected.

So the government now feels that they can use the commerce clause to force you to participate in commerce in order to regulate you. They are compelling you to enter into a contract with another party implying the government has that power, which it does not.

• 8 years ago

Yes, it does.

That's why many are calling it unconstitutional. The government is forcing the American people to buy something, or be punished.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.