Is Timor Leste part of the South Pacific?

Timor island is technically not out there in the open ocean, but enfolded in the Timor Sea, whose waters are connected to both the Indian Ocean and Pacific Ocean, bordering Indonesia and Australia.

Geographically, Timor is in the deep sea gap between the Sunda and Sahul shelfs, a region otherwise known as "Wallacea", which includes the Philippines, Sulawesi, Maluku, and the Nusatenggara islands. The Sahul shelf, which includes New Guinea and Australia, are definitely considered the South Pacific, but I'm never sure about the southern belt of Wallacea, which includes Timor and Maluku Barat Daya...the eastern end of MBD faces the west Pacific ocean.

Ethnically, the indigenous Timorese people are mostly a mix of Malayo-Polynesian and Melanesian-Papua. Both are ethnic groups of the South Pacific.

Politically, Timor Leste is surrounded by states that associate either with ASEAN or the South Pacific. Australia is definitely the South Pacific. Indonesia is always associated with ASEAN, but never with the South Pacific. But Indonesia also administers West Papua, which is geographically part of the South Pacific. Papua New Guinea never associates with ASEAN, and if West Papua ever became independent, I'd guess that they'd be more likely to associate with the South Pacific for geo-cultural similarities rather than with ASEAN.

Most of the articles I read say that Timor Leste is part of Southeast Asia. But honestly, look at any map and you'll see that Timor is much closer to Australia than mainland Asia. Occasionally, I'd also find Timor Leste as a member in associations whose other members are primarily South Pacific states.

So with all these facts considered, would it still be correct if I call Timor Leste a nation / state of the South Pacific? Or would this be wrong? Why or why not?

2 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    9 years ago
    Favorite Answer

Yes you guys deffinitely are part of the Pacific cause you can find relatives (members of your race) in Papua New Guinea which is a Pacific Island nation. East Timorese and a certain ethnic group that exists along the Papuan coast of Papua New Guinea are related, the name of the province you may find them in is Central or just Central Province. That particular ethnic group is Malayo-Polynesian mixed with Melanesian-Papuan and the people do resemble East Timorese. Because of their Malay and Polynesian-like features they are quite distinct from the predominant Melanesian race of Papua New Guinea and they speak Austronesian languages just like other Pacific Islanders. It is possible that their ancestors migrated from Timor thousands of years ago.

• rindos
    Lv 4
    4 years ago

actually, Japan isn't between the main best Asian journey places. i assume you may desire to smash up it into the "Tokyo, Kyoto, Sapporo, Osaka, Nagoya, etc." city instructions, yet various the questions in this classification relate extra beneficial to subculture and dad subculture than to particular journey questions, like "the place is the nicest spa in/around Hiroshima?" or some element. those questions are extremely rare. Of course, you have a element: Who is going to Switzerland? Argentina not often has extra beneficial than 5 - 6 questions, and various others. eire does get various travelers, i think, so i think it rightfully has a classification of its very own. i'm no longer valuable precisely why Vietnam and Nepal have been chosen as a results of fact the Asian representatives to flow to the front of the form information superhighway web site (becoming a member of India). i myself replaced into as quickly as no longer thinking why Japan did no longer make it, regardless of the undeniable fact that particularly i replaced into thinking how on earth China replaced into as quickly as no longer given its very own classification. China is so gigantic and distinctive, it would desire to be extremely significant and useful to offer it city-particular categories (or maybe section-particular). of direction, i won't particularly say what the coolest judgment on the back of it particularly is. surely, there's a solid bias in the direction of Western Europe, yet that may not surprising, in spite of if it particularly isn't any longer good, yet who can say why Japan wasn't chosen? i think they might desire to incorporate extra beneficial African countries in the Africa-middle East classification, regardless of the undeniable fact that purely as there may well be professional-West Europe bias, there is anti-African bias...

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.