Marian
Marian asked in PetsDogs · 8 years ago

At what age does a mixed-bred dog become naturally protective of it's home?

Also, it's fenced-in yard? One is a Shep/Rotti and the other is a Shep/Hound. Both are about two years old, and so far, are very friendly. Will they ever become protective, since they are already two years old and show no signs of aggression?

I want people to think the dogs are aggressive, whether they are or not, just by barking at them, at least.

• Peg
    Favorite Answer

A protective dog does not mean aggressive. So you may never see their protectiveness of their home and family unless put in a situation to become protective.

My old German Shepherd was as sweet and friendly with everyone as could be. She never even looked like she'd be protective if she needed to. But... there were a couple rare occasions that I saw it come out. Once my dad (who she met many times before) came over. But, when he did, he didn't knock. He just opened the front door. My GSD was on top of it. It scared the **** out of my dad. He always knocked after that.

the only issues that impression the durability of somebody canines are its breeding, i.e. if the breeder took care to purely breed wellbeing examined canines; the attempt the owner takes in taking good care of the canines, i.e. stable nutrients, workout, risk-free environment, preventives, vet care; and the canines's breed can play a functionality. some breeds have shorter existence expectancies than others. large Danes, for occasion. The wellbeing of a mixed breed canines is a coin toss. The wellbeing of a "organic bred" offered from a questionable breeder is a coin toss.

any age when raised in home with family

outside dogs probably never

signs of aggression is not good in any dog

I have a rotti and he is very friendly to me and my family but it will growl and bark at strangers. If my dog got out I'm sure he would attack any stranger that gets in his way. I also have two other dogs. My rotti is very protective of its home and it's food. Naturally if there is an intruder the two dogs should bark or try to fend off the intruder. Dogs that are vicious are normally trained to be like that from a young age. Your dogs should protect you as long as they knows that your their master. Try spending time with the dogs and bringing them for walks to develop a strong bond with them.

Source(s): 3 dogs

With my mixed breeds they tend to be friendly even when both parents are naturally protective. If they need to be protective in real danger they will.

not all dogs are protective or aggressive.

just having 2 big dogs in your home tho is more than enough to ward off most intruders.

if there is a threat to the house they will become protective, depending on how long youve had them, after about 2 weeks with my rottie home he was trying to protect us and the house