Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Home & GardenGarden & Landscape · 8 years ago

What type of flowering tree or shrub has dense foliage, stays green year around, and grows fast?

I need to create a privacy barrier that stands at least 5-6 feet tall. Also, I need something that can thrive in upstate SC climate. Please help!!!

9 Answers

Relevance
  • 8 years ago
    Favorite Answer

These plants all grow in the Piedmont and may in Upstate, depending on your altitude. They don't all fit every criteria, but they are all beautiful in my opinion. Research them online and make your choice(s):

Awabuki Viburnum - Bloom not showy, red fruit is pretty, grows quickly and has some of the most beautiful large shiny leaves in the plant world. Evergreen.

Japanese Camellia - Look up the specific cultivar to see how much cold it can take. Clemson University has a fantastic collection in their arboretum. Grows slow. Gorgeous flowers in winter(!). Evergreen.

Carolina Cherry Laurel - Nondescript flowers. Pretty evergreen leaves. Grows fast. Native. Self seeds. Leaves smell like Jergens lotion when crushed. Slightly poisonous.

Fortune's Tea Olive - Fragrant but very small flowers smell like apricot cobbler in fall. Leaves are holly-like. Medium growth rate.

Little Gem Southern Magnolia - Large cream-colored flowers with lemony fragrance. Growth slow. Medium sized leaves compared to other Southern Magnolias. Others will grow too fast and too big for what I think you are seeking.

Sweet Bay Magnolia - Apple green leaves, silver underneath. Fragrant flowers similar to Little Gem - a little smaller. Pretty seed cones in fall. Tolerates wet feet. Medium growth rate.

Hollies - Nellie Steven Holly deep green leaves, need a male for bright red fruit, fast growth. Emily Bruner, similar but fruit dull burgundy. Many other good hollies like Oakleaf, Lusterleaf, Lydia Morris, Foster. I do not recommend Savannah, it fruits great but leaves suffer and leaves turn ugly yellow as fruit ripens. All these hollies are evergreen

Wax Myrtle - Fragrant leavess. Fast growth. Insignificant flowers. Loose, not dense unless frequently pruned. Native. Evergreen

Yaupon Tree - Very pretty red translucent berries. Small leaves. Growth not full without frequent pruning. Native. Evergreen.

Waxleaf Ligustrum - Medium to small evergreen leaves. Fairly dense without pruning. Flowers creamy and small, but slightly attractive in season.

Butterfly Bush - Evergreen to briefly deciduous in the south. Beautiful flowers draw butterflies. Not available in large sizes but really wants to quickly grow to 15' tall in the south if anyone would let it. Silvery leaves are quite attractive.

Hardy Orange - A relative of the real orange. Glossy green three-part leaves. Fragrant orange inedible fruit borne at Christmastime. Deciduous but wicked huge thorns stay bright green all winter. Seems like it would die in the cold but its hardy to PA. Good burglar bush.

I would pick three to five of these species and mix them up in an irregular hedge line, two to three plants deep and offset, if you have room. That make it seem less like a prison wall once it grows in.

• Login to reply the answers
  • Anonymous
    8 years ago

Euonymus is evergreen, has dense foilage, and some varieties are fairly fast growing(it will still take several years to get a thick hedge as tall as you want). They have flowers with a nice scent in the spring.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/2/2d...

• 8 years ago

Agree with Kavi - you Do want it all.

Camelia and Gardenia are both evergreen, have dense foliage, flower, thrive in SC. (Sure miss Myrtle Beach.)

• DAR76
    Lv 7
    8 years ago

Look into Holly. It's a beautiful shrub year round. I would also research Arborvites and Cypress for privacy.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 8 years ago

That's an interesting combination that not many things actually offer. Throwing the flowering and evergreen parts in there together really cuts down on your options. A couple of types of small magnolias might work. Oleander would also work. Not much else jumps into my head that would flower and be evergreen.

• Anonymous
    8 years ago

What do you want, a miracle? There is no such thing as fast growing, flowering, and evergreen.

You can get fast growing and flowering OR simply evergreen. Pick one or the other.

• 8 years ago

some kinds of holly and some kinds of boxwood would meet your needs

• Greta
    Lv 4
    4 years ago

Try some bamboo. As long as you choose carefully and don't get one that's invasive, it will provide a wonderful screen. But don't overdo it. And remember that anything that grows quickly has the potential to become a thug!

• 8 years ago

You need an evergreen shrub that produces amazing flowers such as wart barberry, lindely butterfly bush, robin hill azalea and and paleleaf barberry.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.