Need some help with this scientific definition?

AIR POLLUTION PRESENTATION

Air Pollution: Any chemical, particulate matter, or microorganism in the atmosphere at concentrations high enough to harm plants, animals, and materials such as buildings, or to alter ecosystems.

Because air is a common resource on Earth, air pollution crosses many systems and boundaries. Human activity contributes to both outdoor and indoor air pollution. To understand air pollution and its effects, we need to look at all air pollutants, where they come from, and what happens to them after they are released into the atmosphere.

You will work in pairs to introduce one of the following air pollutants:

12. Fuel burning

Presentations should address the following:

1. Introduction of the pollutant:

What is it?

Is it a chemical, particulate, or microorganism?

Where does it come from?

Is it considered an indoor or outdoor pollutant?

2. What happens to the chemical, particulate or microorganism when it is released into the atmosphere?

Identify primary and secondary pollutants related to the pollutant you are researching

Include and explain chemical reaction(s) if applicable.

3. What human activity contributes to such high concentrations of this chemical, particulate or microorganism that qualifies it as an air pollutant?

4. What are the environmental and health effects associated with this pollutant?

My topic is fuel burning but im not sure what it means? What should I be researching? I'm not asking you to provide me with answers (although that would be nice) but just what kind of stuff I should be looking at. The class is AP Environmental science if that helps

Favorite Answer

Its hard to figure exactly what you're looking for, but some common fuel burning pollutants are Sulfur oxides and Nitrogen oxides (often referred to as SOx and NOx). Coals are responsible for the bulk of air pollutants also. Coal is divided into 3 types based on age. From youngest to oldest: Lignite, Bituminous, Anthracite. Anthracite is the oldest and most pure, containing very little sulfur and heavy metal pollutants, but Lignite is very young (150 myo compared to 350 myo for anthracite) and very impure. It contains significant amounts of sulfur, as well as aluminum, lead, arsenic, mercury, and a whole slew of other heavy metals which stay airborne for only a short time, usually fall out of the atmosphere within a several mile radius of the source of emission. I hope this is what your looking for. It might also be interesting to point out that natural gas (CH4) is the least polluting per unit fuel burned, and also produces the most energy per unit burned. if you can be more specific about what you want, Ill edit this post to help out more if i can.