Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentMilitary · 9 years ago

Looking for Some Advice and Stories of Experience from Current Airforce Members?

I've been thinking about joining the Airforce and I'm currently looking into every possible thing I can. I've been to a few sites where people have shared their experiences in the Air Force, and I've yet to find one from a current member.

Has anything changed? Is it basically the same (day to day life, job opportunities, the like). Any information would be helpful. Thanks!

Favorite Answer

Well here is an example of some of the people you might work for ( thank goodness they are a small minority )

I had a NCOIC, ( the boss of my duty section ) who once ordered me to water the grass outside the building in the middle of a heavy thunderstorm

Why ? because regulations said the grass has to be watered at least once a month, and it was the last day of the month and the grass had not been watered yet

So i stood in a big bay door out of the rain with a water hose and watered the grass as rain was pouring down outside.

Luckily the gods smiled on me, and my squadron commander came back from lunch, saw me watered the grass, did a double take and walked up and ask what i was doing

After I told him, he said I could stop and went to his office.

About 3 mins later, the Chief of the squadron stuck his head in the duty section and told the NCOIC that the squadron commander wanted to see him

Butt chewing time

2. Another time, i was stationed in Guam, got there on a friday morning guam time. by the time you actually get there, you have been awake for almost two days - then you have to inprocess the day you get there for the next 8 hours

So after processing in, your released until the next monday morning

Well the base had a alert called that sat morning - so everyone was called to go into work

My NCOIC ( didn't know who he was at th time ) did NOT call me, since he knew i needed sleep and didn't have a security badge yet, so couldn't do anything anyway

But this tsgt E-6 ( dumber than a rock ) in my duty section, noticed i was not there, so called the barracks , got the CQ to come get me to the phone and told me i needed to come into work ( I didn't even know where i worked at that point , only that it was in a secure area, i had no access too )

I ask just how i was suppsed to get there ( it was 7 m,iles away ) and he said catch a ride.

So i got ready, found someone going in that direction and caught a ride to the squadron headquarters

Then spent two hours waiting while they got it set up for me to be escorted into the area without a security badge.

Got to work, first thing my NCOIC ask, why are you here, i told him i had been called and told to come in

The NCOIC was like " jesus freakin christ" what idiot told you that

well that idiot was sitting next to him

The tsgt had just decided on his own, i just had to be there

My NCOIC told the duty section, first person to go to lunch to take me back to the barracks and he would pick me up monday morning

3. You will run into idiots like those, at every base you are assigned too

Most units try and shove them into a duty position where they cannot bother anyone else

Like Technical order monitor - who update the tech manuals you use to do your job

• patton

some human beings could in basic terms save their critiques to themselves! fairly moms in guidelines!!! Me and my fiance were planning our wedding ceremony because we had in basic terms had our first (oooh we werent married, massive no no, naughty us) and theory it would want to be incredible to have it on the top of this year. We had desirous to get married on the twenty first of november, besides some weeks later wager what, we discovered that i develop into pregnant again (first son develop into in basic terms 5-6 months old). And wager what my due date develop into.. the 18th of november! I nevertheless wanted to pass ahead with the marriage yet flow it to october. besides the indisputable fact that fiance determined it would want to be too stressful and we likely couldnt have each and every thing the way we wanted because of getting to purchase stuff for the infant etc, so we've determined we would have it sometime next year, we were wondering perchance the 20 th of june because it really is our 5 year anniversary, that may be incredible. As for abdomen touching, I actual have a thanks to get round that, continually seem grumpy, or intimidating! LOL, i have been given extremely some abdomen touching with my first, i hated it yet felt rude saying something, so this being pregnant I actual were donning a lot of black (continually a strong initiate), and if i see some stressful old woman staring at me and seems as if shes coming this way i positioned an aggravated/grumpy seem on my face, looool