Am I the only black person that feels mainstream Rap and Hip Hop Music is vulgar nowadays?

I'm a black female, and this is why I've primarily stuck to R&B and soul music. We need classier artists. Underground music is more poetic, but how do we make that more popular?

Favorite Answer

No you're not the only one and i might take years to make those other songs popular.

I don't even listen to a lot of new music, i'm strictly 90's R&B and Hip hop and anybody who knows me always jokes about that. There are some artists out that are great but don't get the attention because they aren't half naked dancing such as Jazmine Sullivan, Melanie Fiona, and Adele. For now I guess it's whatever the people want, if people want rap and the stuff that is out today that is all the industry will produce, I hope that soon it will go back to actual vocalists singing and belting out notes.

It's only a handful of mainstream artist. They all are under the same media umberalla and that's Def Jam, Univeral, Atlantic and Interscope. You can basically name them all. They are not as vulgar like the early HIp Hop scene in 90's with Luke and NWA and other gangster rap artist.

Its sad really, hip hop used to be hard, emotional & poetic. Alas, like everything else that becomes maunstream & popular it has sold out. Dont judge the soul of hip hop on the gimmick ***** stuff on the radio these days.

You can't make "Underground Music" popular...

The radio would never play songs like these:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hdagSIa-UQ8

Youtube thumbnail

&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l8PYvh0KCh8

Youtube thumbnail

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vb2z0XwMtH8

Youtube thumbnail

Mainstream Rap/Hip-Hop IS vulgar...but i listen to it anyways!

• Ed Fox

Many adults - black and white - prefer the music of the 70's/80's/90's. Today's music is simply electronic noise and profane language

You are not and there are many black people who feel this way unless you are listening to more socially and politically aware such as Common. Most of the vulgar ones are subsidized and glorified by the white establishment to keep the theme of division along lines of colorism for blacks, degradation of black women and abandonment of family values. Go back to one of the true progenitors of spoken word such as Gil Scot-Heron and you will see the beginnings were meant to be the antecedents of connecting and elevating black people as whole...not this misogynistic, color biased worship of material things that have not done nothing but further separate and keep us vulnerable...hey, I'm watching Malcolm X now and am viewing black men who love and cherish their women and their homes...men who are strong, well dressed and self educated to the true nature of of black people...that's why they had to kill him and our community which includes music as poetry of our culture as suffered ever since.

Rap has always been vulgar. It's just they always rap about the same thing now. B*tches, money and sex.

Yes, yes you are. As a black person, I love rap since it supports the black culture and promotes our lifestyles.

Source(s): :-)

me 2

Source(s): im black 2