? asked in Cars & TransportationMotorcycles · 8 years ago

How much does it cost to rebuild a Harley Davidson 1340 Evolution motor?

I have a '98 Dyna Superglide with the 1340 Evolution motor. My bike only has 6,000 miles on the original engine. (The bike sat in a hangar for years.) I won't be looking to get the engine rebuilt for many years ( I hope.). I was just curious how much it would cost to rebuild the engine? Thank you.

Favorite Answer

6,000 miles....hell the motor hasn't even been fully broke in yet!!!!!

As another answer states, I personally, got 194,000 miles from my '86 Softail before the lower end needed to come apart.

The ONLOY thing you need to do is.....

Carb rebuild.....$75

POSSIBLY a new petcock fuel valve.....$50

DEFINITELY, no if's ands or buts, a complete top end gasket change, including lifter block gaskets, $125 for gaskets, 4 hours labor.

All 3 fluids change, engine, trans & primary.....$75

These are the parts you want......

Any simple basic aftermarket carb rebuild kit

Factory HD petcock assembly

Factory HD gaskets......their gaskets USED to be crap, now technology has changed and they now have the best gaskets available....bar none!!!!

Read this previous answer of mine for oils......http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index;_ylt=AoldR...

Source(s): HD Master Tech and Engine Builder

Harley Davidson Carburetor Rebuild Kit

• Jane

I don't know that the 1340evo is the best motor Harley ever built,I personally am partial to the older 74 c.i.d. shovelhead.I believe that what you do to the motor after you buy the motorcycle is very important. The stock Keohan carburator,right in the trash.S&S or my preference the Mikuni smooth bore along with after-market exhaust,can really bring out the power of any H.D. On the evo motors,you can't really run the 2 inch straight exhaust,as you could with HD motors years ago,because of a lack of back pressure.The evo motors perform much better with 1 3/4 inch straights.At least that is my belief.Harley-Davidson is the greatest motorcycle ever built,as any diehard motorcyclist will tell you.

Well now it depends on a LOT of variables. A complete engine out/dismantled, all worn parts replaced and or machined, with labor, could cost upwards of $8K. If you do the wrenching yourself you could save a couple K. If you have only the "top end" done, this could run @ $3K. If it's your labor, a third less.

Lot's of variables. Are you buying the parts? Doing the labor? Taking parts into a machine shop? Are you reassembling same?

Or are you planning to drop the bike off at your friendly dealer and pick it up when it's ready? That'll cost ya...

Maybe- if your really attentive to maintenance- you won't ever need the engine rebuilt...

Source(s): Rebuilding my own and wrenching for a while. It's a rewarding experience to rebuild your own machine.

1

complete rebuild could cost as much as $1600.00 to $2000.00 just in parts, not to mention Labor I have done many of them no two are the same

Depends on what's wrong with it, Depends on who does the rebuild, Far too many variables go into an estimate.

Believe this info is correct.

Guy at work had a similar bike. Engine was rebuilt after 106,000 miles. He was very careful with maintenance.

From $0 up. You don't mention what is wrong with it, if anything. If it was mothballed properly, it should be ready to go with a new battery, fresh gas and new tires.

• Laura

For the best answers, search on this site https://shorturl.im/awFA8

No. The V-rod revolution engine is.