Is Wearing a Motorcycle Helmet When Riding Actually Worth It? (Riders' Opinions Wanted)?

I've been riding offroad for a while, and I know for a fact my helmet has saved my bacon a few times. I've been wanting to get into street riding though, but I've always wondered about a helmet for that. Of course, I know, most people are going to say "you should wear a helmet, it keeps you safe if... show more I've been riding offroad for a while, and I know for a fact my helmet has saved my bacon a few times. I've been wanting to get into street riding though, but I've always wondered about a helmet for that. Of course, I know, most people are going to say "you should wear a helmet, it keeps you safe if you crash," blah blah blah, but let's cut it down to the nitty-gritty.

The majority of crashes I've been in while offroading were usually low speed (30-40 mph) crashes that I walked off. Therefore, the helmet was able to perform its job splendidly. What I'm interested in are high speed highway crashes when you're going 60-70 mph. I've spoken to many old-school riders who prefer not to wear helmets because, the way they see it, if they go down on pavement at high speed, "a piece of foam wrapped in ABS plastic" isn't going to do much to prevent head injuries. Comfort also seems to be an issue, which I can understand. Helmets trap heat, and that's less than ideal during long rides and hot days.

If I could get no-BS opinions from riders or people who generally know what they're talking about, that would be great. Thanks in advance.
Update: edit: Thanks for all the input so far! I appreciate it! Keep in mind, I'm just a casual observer. I have no opinion either way, I'm just trying to get both sides.