why is my check engine light on after i replaced my tps sensor?

car: 1987 pontiac trans am

problem: check engine light stays on after tps sensor replacement

other: runs fine actually runs idle and shifts smoother, im stumped please help...

Favorite Answer

When the old sensor failed it tripped a code in your cars computer witch then triggers the check engine light. When the new sensor was installed the computers memory of codes may not have been reset, causing the computer to think it is still failing. Get the computer reset and see if the check engine light comes on again. If it does I have no idea and I'd say to take to a mechanic where they'd have the computer to hook it up and fix.

You can clear the code yourself. Take the negative battery cable off and touch it to the positive terminal. This drains the computer capacitors and removes all engine codes instantly

how to reset a cars computer

you have gotten water into the Throttle place Sensor Connector attempt unplugging and blowing it dry. it rather is the sensor placed on the throttle physique . reckoning on the variety there may well be a short 3 cord harness that connects to the foremost harness. reliable success

once you put it on it,s has to be set in with a volt meter or a scan tool ! try disconnecting the battery for about 5 minutes then hook it back up.

try disconnecting your battery for 5 minutes. See if it goes off......