Anonymous
Anonymous asked in PetsFish · 8 years ago

Pet Ideas, for a 10 Gallon Tank?

Back in January I bought a 10 Gallon fish tank, set it up, cycled it, I had everything ready for it, however the aquatic pet that I was getting from a friend passed before my tank was ready. For about a month now I've been thinking of what to do with it. I still have the filter running and the lights on timer and everything. The point is, I really want to get a pet, I was thinking a frog, but the only full aquatic frog that I found was ADFs and ACFs. Soooo maybe a semi-aquatic frog? I don't want something common though, so maybe a newt? Could that even fit in a 10g? And please, don't say Axolotls because they're illegal in New Jersey. :( Any ideas?

Best Answer

The possession of Axolotls is illegal in New Jersey

Axolotls are on the endangered species list

The possession and transportation of Axolotls is illegal in the State of New Jersey

http://www.state.nj.us/dep/fgw/pdf/xoti ... lslapp.pdf

You will find it listed on page 5

The following also CANNOT BE POSSESSED OR SOLD due to difficulties in determining morphological differences among several species (but is not limited) to the following: Axolotls.

Sorry,

Philip Vena

Founder of Buy-Axolotls.com

We Protect Axolotls

www.Buy-Axolotls.com

4531 Cornell Avenue

Downers Grove, IL 60515-2609 USA

(Near West Side of Chicago)

Phone: 1-630-390-7070

email Address: Sales@Buy-Axolotls.com

Axolotl Forum: http://Buy-Axolotls.com/phpbb

Source(s): www.Buy-Axolotls.com
  • Jenny

There's not many things that can go with fully aquatic frogs, since a 10 gallon can only house very small fish, and many small fish would be eaten by ADFs and ACFs. But betta are very nice fish to house with ADFs. ACFs can get big enough to eat a betta, but ADFs stay a reasonable size. I would suggest a betta, any breed other than a king betta or crowntail, male or female. You can also get a freshwater shrimp: cherry shrimp may be too small, but if you have a heavily planted tank, the cherries can hide and breed with a bit more security from the betta. You can also get a bigger shrimp, like a bumblebee shrimp, bamboo shrimp, or amano shrimp, but the cherry shrimp is the hardiest breed of freshwater shrimp and can breed in freshwater. I would suggest a betta and cherry shrimp or a betta and an ADF.

I hope this was helpful! :)

• Gracie

Don't worry about Axolotls, they are too big for a 10gallon tank anyway.

The problem with semi-aquatic creatures is that you'd have to modify your setup. I also prefer keeping them in terrariums which have larger footprints than aquariums so they have more space to move around.

As for newts, I really don't remember which are the best for beginners, because in this part of the world the choice is limited to, wild caught Chinese Fire Belly Newts with Japanese Fire Belly Newts though one of the local pet store owners swears she had some Spanish Ribbed Newt for sale a few years ago. In this site you can read up on Newts and Salamanders: http://www.caudata.org/cc/ However you might find that your tank is unsuitable for newts.

If you had set up this tank for a specific "aquatic pet" you might want to get a pet of that species. Or you can have fish. A 10g is big enough to have choices:

- Dwarf Cories with a "main fish" (Betta, Sparkling Gourami or Honey Gourami)

- a school of nano fish (Dwarf/Mosquito Rasboras, Ember Tetras or Celestial Pearl Danios are available here) with dwarf shrimp in a planted tank. It doesn't have to be Red Cherry Shrimp they have other color morphs too, which are just as easy to keep. This is my favorite site on shrimp: http://www.planetinverts.com/Red%20Cherry%20Shrimp...

Source(s): 10g planted with Chinese Fire Belly Newts 10g planted with Celestial Pearl Danois, Nerite Snails and 2 Snowball Shrimp
  • Sibyl

For any semi-aquatic frog, newt or salamander, you will want to lower the water level significantly, which may not work with your current filter.

My recommendation would be a couple Fire Belly Toads. So long as you are comfortable feeding them a varied diet of live crickets as a staple, and mealworms or waxworms to add variety.

Please fully research any pet you consider, especially something like a frog, because they do have relatively long lifespans.

Aquariums are really targeted towards fish, but if you don't want them then get an aquatic turtle. also, what's so bad about an African dwarf frog? They are small, easy to care for, and do well with Bettas (a beautiful, long finned, easy to care for, and hardy type of fish).