My car lags when I first start it?

I drive a 1999 Chrysler LHS and just recently when I first start up the car as I am going from 1st to 2nd (?) the car's engine will rev for a moment, without any acceleration, before shifting gears.

I have checked the transmission fluid and it is at a good level. My oil level is fine as well. I also put through some fuel system cleaner and that didn't seem to do the trick either.

After doing some googling the MAF sensor seems to have some of the same symptoms as what I am having but I am not totally sure.

I would also like to add that I had just gotten an oil change before this started to happen. I selected their "premium" service where they did a "check" through all of the different areas of the car to make sure I didn't need further maintenance. Is it possible the MAF or air filter was checked and then not replaced correctly?

Thanks for any help.

P.S. If I had the money I would have a mechanic check it out immediately but as I am short on cash I would like to see if there are any small things I can be sure of before I dish out the money for a mechanic.

EDIT

after the first 1 or 2 times the engine lags any further driving no longer has the issue. It is only when I first start up.

Favorite Answer

You should get a check engine light if the MAF was not installed correctly. You should get a flashing trans light. Most likely your transmission is worn and leaking internally. The valves or seals wear out, and until the parts heat up and expand the system isn't making enough pressure to work the mechanisms that shift the transmission and hold the clutches tight.