Ernest
Lv 7
Ernest asked in Cars & TransportationAircraft · 8 years ago

Why dont pilots ever speak to passengers during takeoff and landing, it's always the captain?

I always hear, ladies and gentlemen, this is your captain speaking.

16 Answers

Relevance
  • 8 years ago
    Best Answer

"Captain" is the courtesy title that most airlines give to their pilots in command on flights. The captain is really just the pilot in command. There will normally be a co-pilot, and most airlines call him the "first officer."

The titles are designed to instill confidence in passengers because of their pseudo-military sound. They have no legal standing.

So when you hear the "captain" speaking on the airplane, it's really one of the pilots.

• 8 years ago

It's all said. No announcements from the flight deck during take-off and landing. Can't bother with even thinking of anything else than handle the ship at that moment.

I just want to add that the title "Captain" is in no way just a courtesy of the airline, as somebody suggests (are you an engineer? That would explain it). Well, at least with BA, you need a few skills more than the first officer to be a Captain. However, it's not necessarily flying skills but a whole lot of others. It's not just "I'm-flying-that-bird-so-I-am-the-Captain". The Captain doesn't necessarily fly the aeroplane.

And: it's not always the Captain making the PAs. Sometimes it's the FO you hear saying "Ahh, well... a hello from the flight-deck. This is your Captain speaking"...... :-) Gives a bit more confidence to some narrow-minded PAX who believe that only a Captain can fly an aeroplane. :-)

• 8 years ago

You are wrong, neither of the flight crew (Captain aka Pilot in Command or the First Officer) talk to the passengers during takeoff and landing operations. All their focus is on getting the bird in the air (takeoff) and getting the bird back on the ground (landing).

Both the Captain and the First Officer are pilots.

• 8 years ago

Dear Ernest,

The stewards and stewardesses are with the passengers all the time seeing to their needs and safety.

They are like sofisticated waiters and are under the order of the captain of the plane.

The other pilots - copilots - are also under the captain's orders and he is the responsible for all the others, for the passengers and for the plane.

So, at takeoff and landing, the moments most passengers are afraid of, the captain wellcomes them: with his calm voice, he shows that everything is under control and the passengers feel that they are treated with courtesy by the higher "oficial" of the airplane.

Some of them, in long flights, cross the isle talking nicely to some people, playing with the kids, old people, making costumers feel confortably.

And, Ernest, the commander of a plane, the captain, is THE most important person there and on his shoulders lie the lives of copilots, staff and passengers.

It is one of the most difficult profession and they have to study hard, train a lot, be healthy and they have to be extraordinary person that are in control of themselves and of everything else!

May God protect, guide and give orientation to all the pilots of the world!

PS: English is not my native English, so I may have made some mistakes.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 8 years ago

Hi. Because the Captain is in charge, and he is also the pilot, And The co pilot assist the Captain, meaning he can fly a plane also.

• 8 years ago

I believe that isn't true, I've heard "ladies and gentlemen, this is your first officer/co-pilot speaking"... I guess it's whoever is "pilot flying" (they share flying duties, but the captain is always Pilot in Command) is the pilot who makes announcements.

Btw, Captains are pilots.

• 8 years ago

To add to the discussion....pilots do NOT address passengers during takeoff and landing. They could care less about you during a critical flight phase, and instead are concentrating on flying the airplane.

Source(s): commercial pilot
  • 8 years ago

The way it works is there are two pilots. The primary one, in the left seat is the captain and the other one is the first officer.

Source(s): Pilot
  • John
    Lv 7
    8 years ago

They do not speak to the passengers during takeoff and landing they have few more

important things to do during this stage of the flight

• Hugo
    Lv 6
    8 years ago

The Captain IS the Pilot, or at least one of them.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.