Do you eat American or European style?

European style

The European style, also called the continental style, is to hold the fork in the left hand and the knife in the right. Once a bite-sized piece of food has been cut, it is conducted straight to the mouth by the left hand. The tines remain pointing down.

The knife and fork are both held with the handle running along the palm and extending out to be held by thumb and forefinger. This style is sometimes called "hidden handle" because the palm conceals the handle.

[edit] American style

In the American style, also called the zig-zag method, the knife is initially held in the right hand and the fork in the left. Holding food to the plate with the fork tines-down, a single bite-sized piece is cut with the knife. The knife is then set down on the plate, the fork transferred from the left hand to the right hand, and the food is brought to the mouth for consumption. The fork is then transferred back to the left hand and the knife is picked up with the right.[3][7] In contrast to the European hidden handle grip, in the American style the fork is held much like a spoon or pen once it is transferred to the right hand to convey food to the mouth.

I'm American, but I eat European style. American style seems like more work than it needs to be.

• Favorite Answer

Some of us are schooled in the proper etiquette of the dining table, some use the fingers directly on the food stuff, and some (usually Eurotrash) just jam their faces into the plate and do not use any tools whatsoever.

The reverse European style, I guess. Fork in the right hand, knife in the left. There is no switching hands.

I eat "European style". Also, I've never heard of anyone putting the knife down and switching the fork to the other hand when they eat.

• W

Neither. I rarely ever even *use* a knife; just a fork held in my right hand, and then I cut whatever I'm eating with the side of it.

• maupin

i replaced into surprised by ability of this as a prevalent centred visitor to the united states and comparatively decrease classification Brit. individuals easily flow the fork to their right hand to consume like it rather is a complex ritual like larger classification Brits. Even in Applebys or Rubee Tuesday. i do no longer think of this has been a variety in maximum of Europe for centuries, if ever?

American style.

European style.

I just it, I don't pay attention to what hand my spoon or fork is in, and I definitely don't eat with a knife......what do you eat with a knife?

Neither. I just shovel large handfuls of food into my mouth and chew loudly.

I eat how ever i wanna eat. I don't like sheep.