How to deal with a very rude/mean customer?

There's this customer that is ALWAYS really rude, disprespectful, and blames everything on me every time he comes into the store. A couple weeks ago he stormed away because I told him to go to customer service, because I couldn't do a return, cussing and calling me stupid, etc. Today he was back and he... show more There's this customer that is ALWAYS really rude, disprespectful, and blames everything on me every time he comes into the store. A couple weeks ago he stormed away because I told him to go to customer service, because I couldn't do a return, cussing and calling me stupid, etc.

Today he was back and he didn't look at his total, and told me I gave him the wrong change. I didn't, but he kept insisting I did. Finally we found out he misheard me (but of course he blamed me, saying I said the wrong total, the whole time he didn't even look at his receipt) and left.

I was a nervous wreck while it was happening, and honestly afraid. How can I deal with a customer that never looks at the total before paying me money, and what do I do better next time?