Should I homeschool my autistic son?

I'm considering homeschooling my autistic son. He is verbal but has a minor speech impediment, though most people can understand him pretty well. He can walk well but walks kind of funny and has some trouble holding his pencils because of fine motor control issues. He is in physical, speech and occupational... show more I'm considering homeschooling my autistic son. He is verbal but has a minor speech impediment, though most people can understand him pretty well. He can walk well but walks kind of funny and has some trouble holding his pencils because of fine motor control issues. He is in physical, speech and occupational therapies at the school (which I already have the schools guarantee would continue if we went ahead with the home schooling). The problem is the IQ tests and his inability to transition well from one activity to the next.
He's had two IQ tests that came back about 75, which is borderline mental retardation apparently. However, both his teachers and I believe that these tests don't reflect much of anything for my son, as he routinely performs above average on non-language based academics and about normal with language based tasks. He can sight read a few words, do addition and subtraction, can count to 30, spell his full name and knows his address etc but the school wants to put him in a mentally handicapped room for kindergarten next year because of his difficulty transitioning. Though I've been assured he will be "integrated as much as possible" with his "normal peers" this school has recently been in trouble at the high school level for putting another autistic kid to work scrubbing toilets instead of educating him. My son will be 6 and I feel that he will not get a quality education in this school. I would like to do an online school called K12 with him but worry if I can actually do it, as I am a full time college student who will graduate next year and his father works full time. I also work part time but only on the weekends.

So do you think it's a good idea to send him to the public school or to do the online schooling? We have already done sample lessons for the online school and proved he can do them very well. We are just worried about his opportunities to socialize with kids his own age. What do you think?