Why are strapless wedding dresses so popular?

They look so boring and actually ugly. It looks like a towel that you wrap around after a shower or something. I think lace sleeves look so much more sophisticated and beautiful: http://raihan-wed.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/05/r...

Favorite Answer

Strapless wedding dresses are rarely flattering. It depends on your body type and skin condition.

This trend started in the 90's whereas if you look at pictures of wedding dresses before that, you will notice that they were not strapless and they were very special, I mean you could tell that it was a wedding dress and not just a white prom gown.

Why did this relentless tyranny of strapless wedding dresses last for 20 years and does not go away? Why even the famous royal wedding of William and Kate can't change the trend of bare bridal shoulders?

I believe the main reasons are the following:

1) Brides want to be sexy and they are afraid that if they choose a modest wedding dress, they will be "accused" of being conservative, shy and that they are not self-confident so they want to cover-up their body.

2) Most brides choose their wedding dress with the help of their friends and family. When you choose a dress for someone else, you don't care about the flabby arms and backs, the acne on the chest, back and arms and that their dress won't stay up while they are dancing.

3) Bridal dresses retailers and manufacturers have a lot of strapless dress inventory which is easier to alter -you just take in or out the side seam. This way they carry less sizes which is cheaper for them. In addition, if you want a wedding dress with different neckline and sleeves, they alter the strapless dress (which can be altered to any style) and they make extra money.

The only way to change the trend is to start asking for different styles...

• fries

hi I have been given married final exceptionally much 2 weeks in the past and that i didnt have a 2 piece outfit, and that i think of my gown became unique even nonetheless I have been given it from a bridal shop because of the fact it became like an extremely geared up style of like mermaid gown with a protracted trian on the lower back and it became strapless and had a great style of element on the trian and the front of the gown. My cousin is getting married in 2 weeks isnt a 2 piece the two. explanation why i think of a few people decide for the two piece good and skirt is with the help of the fact from experiance of attempting on outfits in case you good a million/2 is extra suitable than your backside a million/2 or vice versa then it may grow to be puzzling to get a gown to extra healthful, so this style going for a 2 piece set you will get the skirt in one length and good in yet another. staring on the information superhighway you cant fairly tell that the gown is in 2 products and basically appears like an entire gown and that i think of a few are basically as stuning as an entire wedding ceremony gown.

• Karin

I actually looked for a dress with sleeves and couldn't find one that I liked and that was affordable(my parents offered to buy the dress). I ended up choosing a beautiful strapless dress covered in lace and pearl beads. It was perfect for me and my venue - and also my parent's wallet!

• Kayla

It may look sophisticated but believe it or not, the sleeves can feel itchy and can also make you feel hot..especially if the dress has a lot of layers to begin with and it can also depend on how hot the wedding venue is, if it's a hot day,etc. A strapless dress is easier to get into in my opinion, everything will be hectic on your wedding day and you will have to get into that dress as quickly as possible. Strapless dresses CAN be beautiful, if you look for the right one.

• Gidget

You're entitled to your opinion which is why there are lace sleeved dresses available for you to buy. Just because you don't like something doesn't mean that nobody should wear it. You should buy what makes you feel amazing and beautiful. If lace does that for you then go for it. Personally lace isn't my style.

The supply has determined the demand. Go to a bridal shop and try to find a decent affordable non-strapless dress.

Its just a personal preference. Just like not everyone likes the color blue. I personally like both:) The lace sleeves give it a dreamy/mature look whereas the strapless is more princess-like. Strapless doesn't necessarily have to be boring it depends on the designer,but the strapless look is more flattering to ALL body types(enhances bust), whereas when you wear the lace sleeves it draws attention to your arms(make sure arms are toned).

• Madoka

You must be one of those women who looks terrible in a strapless dress.

I am tall, slender and have a perfect figure. I looked gorgeous in my strapless wedding dress, and I was cool and free to dance up a storm on a 32 degree Celsius day.

• mel23

I totally agree!!!!