Conversion to Judaism Questions?

Hello, I am 17 years old and would like to know about converting to Judaism. Please do not criticize me for my age, I simply am interested in learning more so that I can start the process when I am a bit older. My family supports me fully on this, and I know what a big change it will be in my life and faith. So I have a few basic questions, (preferrably for jews) and please tell me any more you know or advise about the actual conversion process. Thanks.

1) how do Jews feel about Jesus? I know they don't believe he was the son of god, but does he hold any other significance or importance to jewish people?

2) roughly how many years would it take for me to convert?

3) do jews believe that gods prophet has yet to come?

4) in contemporary temples today, are prayers still read completely in hebrew?

5) are there any jews who recognize jesus as gods son? (And still celebrate jewish holidays, not like christians who ignore all the holidays jesus would have celebrated)

6) are most jews fluent or at least familiar with hebrew?

Any other details?

Best Answer

1. Jesus has no role in Judaism whatsoever.

2. 1 to 3 (if Orthodox).

3. Jews believe that there were many prophets, including Moses, Isaiah, Jeremiah, and so on. They do not recognize Jesus or Muhammad as prophets. Elijah the prophet is supposed to return before the coming of the Messiah.

4. In orthodox synagogues, the prayers are completely in Hebrew. The Siddur (prayerbook) of an Orthodox synagogue will have Hebrew on one page and English on the facing page. In Conservative and Reform synagogues, there will be some Hebrew and some English. The more reform, the more English and less Hebrew! Also, it is called a synagogue, not technically a temple. The Temple refers to the one in Jerusalem which is not currently standing. Reform Jews do sometimes call their synagogue a Temple, but Orthodox Jews would never do so.

5. Yes. Of course, the 1st Christians were exactly that. They were Jewish people who believed Jesus was the Messiah, and they kept the Sabbath, Passover, and all the other holidays. Today, sometimes a Jewish person converts to Christianity, and a lot of times, a Jewish Convert to Christianity maintains an interest in their Jewish heritage, or for theological reasons believes that the holidays should still be kept. They are usually called "Messianic Jews."

6. No. I think most Orthodox Jews can probably at least read it. But even in an Orthodox synagogue, you'll find people who are far from being fluent in Hebrew. They may have memorized what the prayers mean, but wouldn't be able to go to Israel and just start speaking in modern Hebrew without further practice.

Hebrew is a beautiful language, a joy to learn, and enhances your knowledge of the Bible tremendously. I highly recommend it!

There is a great book by Hayyim Halevy Donin called "To Be A Jew" that I highly recommend. It gives the basics and is very well written. Another good one is "This is my God" by Herman Wouk.

There are some excellent Jewish websites. Some of my favorites are:

www.aish.com

www.ohrsomayach.org

www.chabad.org

I recommend getting a Jewish Tanakh (Bible) - if you can find one with Jewish commentary, that'd be great. Start reading all you can. Visit a synagogue. Pray. God bless.

• Aravah

answer: 1) he was and is irrelevant and has no place in Judaism

2) 1-4 yrs, depending on the branch and how quickly you learn

3) which prophet?

4) In Orthodox synagogues prayers are read in Hebrew. Conservative synagogues - a mix, Reform synagogues/Temples - a mix with more English (or native language than other branches)

5) not a chance. Once a Jew becomes a Christian, they are outside of the religion and community and are forbidden to "celebrate" ANY Jewish holiday or participate in the community. Would a Christian that becomes a devil worship still be welcome in the Christian community? Same thing

6) most can at least transliterate - sound out Hebrew. Most, especially converts, are fluent enough to read aloud. Many non-converts can read and write Hebrew.

A convert CANNOT retain their former beliefs (Christian or otherwise). A convert stands in the synagogue with the TORAH scroll in their arms and swears they have forsaken all previous and foreign beliefs. That includes any belief in Jesus.

Source(s): Jewish convert Heron is incorrect. The TORAH is clear, apostate Jews that become Christians are forbidden to participate in Jewish holy days. And "messianics' are posers with few of them actually ever having been Jewish. They are dishonest types that dishonor Judaism and Christianity Heron is a CHRISTIAN w/Christian knowledge about Judaism and is NOT qualified to answer Jewish questions as evidenced by the mistakes she makes here and on her own personal website. quote: I do not feel it is my place to put down other religions, but I can only say that for me, I have found a peace that surpasses understanding - and I have found such peace only when I truly accepted the Lord Jesus Christ."
  • Erika

For adults the procedure begins with you doing study and opening to study- then you definately must process a Rabbi who will undoubtedly refer you to a regional or country wide Beis Din (Rabbinical court docket) When it comes for your son, if he isn't in a position of undertanding the procedure or the results of the conversion, he could no longer be modified. The limitation is that conversion is visible a whatever to be disouraged, and the convert has to realise the results in phrases of what it could imply to their lives and existence. When a tender youngster is modified, it's with the implication that once they succeed in the age of getting to become aware of the mitzvot (Bar mitzvah at thirteen for a boy, Bat Mitzvah at 12 for a woman) they're going to both take delivery of the conversion (explictly by means of mentioning it or implictly by means of carrying on with to become aware of the mitzvot), however they have got the alternative of rejecting the conversion at that factor because it needs to be voluntary! When anyone does no longer have the intellectual capability to make the choice or realise the results at any factor, they are not able to be modified as they are not able to meet the requirement to take delivery of the mitzvots.