Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureReligion & Spirituality · 8 years ago

Is the bible against getting tattoos?

I thought about getting tattoos but the only thing that keeps me from getting them is my religion. Im not sure though if im understanding the verse of "Do not cut your bodies for the dead or put tattoo marks on yourselves. I am the LORD" Leviticus 19:28. I want to get some bible verses tattooed on me as well as places where i have been. Does Leviticus 19:28 literally mean to not get tattoos no matter what? Ive heard that this was in the old testament and was no longer relevant? Just wanted to hear what some of you think? Thanks.

Favorite Answer

Does it glorify God?

1 Corinthians 6:19-20 Or do you not know that your body is a temple of the Holy Spirit within you, whom you have from God? You are not your own, (20) for you were bought with a price. So glorify God in your body.

• Sharon

Well, it's really controversial, since the Bible doesn't explicitly say it is either wrong nor okay. My mom, for example, believes that it is against the Bible to stain your body for eternity. However, my youth pastor has several tattoos (a cross, a Jesus fish, a map of the world, etc.) There is no real way of knowing, I think it's all how you interpret it and what the tattoo depicts. I hope that helps you!

• Kate

Ish. The Bible does not perfectly spell it out for us. It was prohibited under Jewish law, but so were many things that were meant to differentiate them from the nations surrounding them. That was a specific national law that we today are not under. The New Testament does indicate that our bodies are temples for the Holy Spirit and that we are to take care of it. Some Christians interpret that to include that we should not tattoo it, but I also know of many Christians who don't consider tattoos as disrespectful to our bodies. Since Christians today are given no direct mandate for or against it in the Bible, it is an issue that we each must individually decide per our own consciences.

• BJ

The Israelites were forbidden to engage in this practice, one that was common among some other ancient peoples. For example, there were times when the Egyptians tattooed the names or symbols of their deities on their breast or arms.

By complying with Jehovah’s law not to disfigure their bodies, the Israelites would have stood out as different from other nations. The prohibition would also have impressed upon them a proper respect for the human body as God’s creation, to be used in honoring him. Ps 100:3; 139:13-16; Ro 12:1.

Since Jesus was a Jew he would not have had a tattoo, he would have been breaking God's law if he had a tattoo.

The Bible states that markings on your body is forbidden. This passage from Leviticus 19 is quite clear, and is addressed to the Jewish people.

If you are Jewish, then you are still required to follow that law.

If you are a Christian, then Colossians 2:12-17 seems to take precedence.

Jesus seems to "wrap up" the Old Testament in Matthew 7:12.

Source(s): <><

What part of "DO NOT" is so hard to understand? The only things in the OT that are no longer relevant are the laws pertaining to the Temple and the Levites. This is not argueable!!

Surely bible is against tattoos. Its satanic actually.

Legalism is a political philosophy that does not address higher questions ...

yes. but christians get them any ways because they don't care. interests become before god, apparently

Source(s): avengers

Yes. It is.