Anonymous
Anonymous asked in PetsCats · 8 years ago

How to get my cat to eat her food?

My kitty is getting a little tubby so I researched healthy cat food and I bought her new healthy dry food and healthy canned food, because the canned food has more protein and less carbs than dry but I also still want her to eat the dry food to have healthy gums and teeth. Well, I've tried feeding her one meal dry, one meal canned, and she'll eat the whole canned meal but barely touch the dry throughout the day. They I tried mixing half and half, but she'll eat around all the dry food and leave it there, never to eat it again! I know she liked the canned food and she seems a lot healthier but I don't want her teeth to get tartar and unhealthy by eating a completely soft diet. How can I get her to eat her dry food?

Favorite Answer

You're on the right track. A diet mixed diet of dry and wet can really help the health of your cat and help him reduce weight. I would not mix the wet and dry together because after a short amount of time the food will go bad. He may not like the kind of dry food you're feeding. I've found that many cats prefer a higher protein food. I feed my four cats (and two of them are really picky) Nutro Natural Choice Indoor Healthy Weight Formula. It's a great food because it's a higher protein lower carb food that my cats really like. I feed both dry and wet. I measure out how much dry they should have in a day and then give them one meal of wet at dinner time. I'm a pet nutrition specialist with Nutro and have been feeding it for over 25 years now and it's worked great for my furry kids. Here's a link to learn more about Natural Choice and read some reviews http://www.nutro.com/natural-cat-food/natural-choi... Good luck and hope this helps.

And also an article about mixed food feeding.

Mix It Up For Better Cat Health http://www.nutro.com/pet-center/mixing-wet-and-dry...

Some cat owners swear by wet food. Others insist dry is best. And according to the WALTHAM® Centre for Pet Nutrition, both sides have merit. In fact, WALTHAM® research shows that mixing wet and dry cat food together benefits your cat in more ways than one.

Benefits of Mixed Feeding

Improved Urinary Tract Health — When you feed your cat a diet of dry kibble mixed with a high moisture, wet food, it increases your cat’s water intake resulting in more urine production. The higher water volume dilutes the urine while increasing the frequency of urination — both of which help prevent the formation of mineral crystals or urinary stones.

Better Weight Management — WALTHAM® studies have shown cats that are fed a high moisture diet eat less, gain less weight per calorie eaten and have increased activity levels compared with cats fed only a dry food diet. What’s more, owners tend to better control the size of their cat’s meal portions when part of the diet contains wet food.

Healthy Metabolism — With more real meat and fewer carbohydrates, wet food provides a healthy balance of proteins, fats and carbohydrates that satisfies a cat’s instinctive feeding behavior and helps maintain a healthy metabolism.

Enhanced Eating Enjoyment — When given a choice, cats prefer to eat a mixture of both wet and dry foods. Wet food is shown to increase enjoyment whereas dry food satisfies her desire to eat many small meals throughout the day.

Improved Oral Health — The crunchy texture of dry food helps keep teeth clean by scraping away plaque and tartar.

Recommended Mixed Feeding Program

While each cat is different, WALTHAM® studies have shown that a mixed feeding program is beneficial for both weight management and urinary tract health. For weight management, at least 1/3 of the total daily food intake should be wet food. If urinary tract health is the goal, then wet food should make up a least 3/4 of the daily volume.

Source(s): owner of four cats (or do they own me?) Nutro.com http://www.nutro.com/pet-center/mixing-wet-and-dry...
  • The best way to do this is to stop giving her canned food. An animal is like a child, if you give them a choice, they will always eat the food that's more tasty to them. It's up to you to give it the proper food and nutrition. You could also try brushing her teeth. They have toothbrushes and toothpastes that are specially formulated for cats and dogs. Maybe you can try another brand of dry cat food. Different brands have different tastes. Cats are sometimes picky eaters and finding the food they like may take time. If you don't want to stop the canned food, and you don't want to try a different brand of dry, then cut down on the canned food drastically so the cat will be hungry and start eating the dry food. Another thing is to try mixing it again, but put only enough canned food to coat the dry one. If you really want your cat to eat dry food, then you must be strong and not give in to her by giving her canned food. If she is hungry enough she will eat.

• Helene

Dog eating Cat food & Cat eating Dog food.?