Is the Hunger Games a good book?

Ok so my mum bought me The Hunger Games book today.. Now I'm not really the type of person who reads books.. I'll buy them and NEVER read them.. And I mean never! I did get the Twilight book years ago for christmas! I loved it so much I never put it down.. That was then! I really do not like Twilight now :L

So will I be able to read The Hunger Games or will I just put it down and never touch it again?

Oh I loved the film too! The film was amazing! Omg I am so going to get it on Blu-Ray when it comes out :D

Sarah Jessica Parker.. How am I suppost to know? I didn't use Yahoo Answers when the Twilight book(s) came out so I have no idea..

• b97st
    Favorite Answer

The Hunger Games are decidedly Young Adult books. They are not on a level with "To Kill a Mockingbird" or "Catcher in The Rye" for example. The writing is intended for teen readers and, while the plot is good, the back-story development leaves something to be desired.

Suzanne Collins pulls no punches in terms of death and gore and her protagonist is a strong, flawed, complex, individual. They are not "The Great American Novel" and don't advertise themselves to be such. They tell a wonderful, thought-provoking story through simple, direct language. The YA genre was in desperate need of a strong heroine. When the Twilight craze hit, a big flood of flimsy protagonists followed. So it was refreshing.

That being said, I didn't like the present tense format, nor how extremely simple the story was. The rich force the poor into Gladiator-like sport and story consists of heroine surviving aforementioned sport. The end. It was exciting and had a lot of action, sure, but at the end of the day it didn't really give you anything to think on other than a ham-fisted metaphor on how obsessed our culture is with reality TV. But once you get past the disgustingly cliche romance and weak-at-best sequels, it's really quite a fascinating read.

The ending is what makes me like it even more. The writer didn't cater to the audience, she made it realistic. Not all good books must be good literature. I don't think The Hunger Games will top the Literary Classics list anytime soon. Overall, I'm fairly neutral. It's not terrible but it's no masterpiece either.

The hunger games is an amazing book WAY better than twilight! The movie was okay, but NOTHING compared to the book!

The Hunger Games is a good series. It's not OMG AMAZING like a lot of people are saying, but it's still a very quick and entertaining read.

Hi I started to read that book almost a week ago and im now on the last chapter and i can tell you that it is amazing and you defininetly will not be able to put it down you should start reading it right now! :)x

Ok first of all i didn't like the idea of kids killing each other but after i read the first chapter i got hooked to the book and finished it in less than 3hrs. :D

Is this how Yahoo Answers was when Twilight got big?