How to get rid of diaper rash when using cloth diapers?

I have recently switched my daughter over to cloth diapering completely do to her dioxin allergy, however she is still getting rashes. What can I use (diaper rash creams, corn starch?) while using cloth diapers? I know I'm not supposed to use zinc oxide, but the all natural monkey butt has always worked the best with getting rid of her rashes. I currently use pocket diapers, but if I line them with a prefold am I able to use the monkey butt cream? If not what has helped everyone else's little ones the most? Thanks for all your answers in advance! I just don't want my little girl to hurt anymore!

• Jill P
    Favorite Answer

The best thing for diaper rash is to let it breathe as much as possible and avoid chemicals. When you change her, wipe her only with a warm, soft, wet washcloth (not storebought baby wipes) and pat her dry with a clean towel. Don't apply any creams, "natural" or not, or baby powder. Let her soak in a bath for at least a few minutes each day. Let her bottom be open to the air for at least an hour a day. (You can line a playpen with a few clean towels and lie her in it in case she pees.) That should clear up even the worst rashes in a day or two. Good luck!

The other poster is wrong, don't use zinc oxide. There's nothing "wrong" with it, but it will get on the diaper and cause water to "repel", and basically ruin the absorbency. If you do have to use zinc oxide, or other OTC rash cream, expect to strip the diapers after the rash is cleared, to restore them to their original absorbency.

You can use extra virgin coconut oil and a disposible liner inside the diaper. California Baby and CJ's BUTTer are also both cloth diaper friendly. If you don't want to use disposable liners, you can use a preemie or newborn prefold as a doubler, but again, you'll need to strip them every couple of washes to get the oil/lotion residue off.

The best thing to do is to determine the cause of the diaper rash. Usually it's due to prolonged wetness against the baby's skin, so factor in changing her a bit more frequency for the duration of rash healing. Also, make sure it's not a yeast infection. If it's a yeast infection you will need to sanitize your cloth diapers in between uses to prevent spreading the yeast back to her (check with the manufaturer on sanitizing your specific brand)

Look at the brand of wipes you are using. It might be worth it to switch to cloth wipes and homemade solution. Wipes are INCREDIBLY easy to make. You can just cut a flannel receiving blanket into pieces and zig-zag stitch the ends, or even just buy a few terry cloth baby washcloths. Make a solution with some water, a teaspoon or so of baby shampoo, a teaspoon of coconut oil, and a few drops of lavender essential oil. Store it in a spray bottle and just spray each wipe before using.

Check the detergent you're using. She could be experiencing irritation from detergent residue on the diapers. Switch to a cloth diaper detergent like rock n green, or use tide free and clear. And only use a few tablespoons per wash load and maybe add a 2nd rinse cycle to make sure all the detergent is washed clear.

It could be a food allergy. Are you introducing solids? Is she experiencing any other allergy symptoms, like loose stools or bloating?

You can add a bit of baking soda or epsom salt to the water when you bathe her, that will help with the uncomfortable irritation. Then make sure she's completely dry before putting another diaper back on. You may even consider a few hours of "commando" time each day where she doesn't have a diaper, so the area can get some air.

• Change your laundry detergent. Dioxins are present in a LOT of detergents so I would recommend trying a couple of different brands.

Applying a rash ointment or powder is only treating the symptoms, NOT the cause. You want to be treating the cause.

I feel your pain, my daughter rashes up at the drop of a hat. I know what causes her rashes and I can't completely remove the cause from her environment. She has a sensitivity to ammonia, and guess what's present in urine? If I leave a nappy on even 2 minutes too long she'll rash up.

Unfortunately she's just inherited her fathers sensitive skin! When treating my daughters rashes I switch her over to flat folds WITHOUT a cover.

You can use whatever you want if you use a scrap piece of cloth over the diaper. You don't want anything to get on your prefolds unless you don't mind it affecting their absorbency, you don't want them to repel. Use a scrap piece of cloth from around the house.

If the diapers are causing her to get rashes, make sure they are rinsed very well when washing, and change very often. I have used corn starch to help with diaper rashes, and just throw a washcloth in there to cover the diaper. Good luck.

Source(s): My site http://everythingcloth.com

The only thing I have ever found helpful for this is Sudocrem. I don't know anything about a dioxin allergy, but I suggest you ask your health visitor for advice. I wanted to use cloth diapers for my kids but found the diaper rash unmanageable, so changed back to disposables. But if you don't have this option, then you may need medical advice on what you can use.

Coconut oil, and olive oil are cloth diaper safe, antibacterial,and soothing. Cj's butter is cloth diaper safe....idk if your brand is cloth diaper safe or not. We use an olive oil based salve that is locally made and sold at the natural parenting store we shop at.

Air time will help, but as for diaper liners use flannel or fleece(and remember to wash them seperate if they have a non-cloth safe diaper cream on them.

I don't think there is anything wrong with Zinc Oxide it works very very well it blocks moisture from skin contact and the Aloe helps the rash heal. I get mine from hers"http://www.habibishomemedical.com/collections/babi...

Same as with a disposable dipar eighter baby powder or lotion or a cream I have 2 kids it always works