Does the word EASTER belong in a Bible translation?

19 Answers

Relevance
  • Elijah
    Lv 7
    8 years ago
    Best Answer

No.

The word “Easter” is used in the Authorized Version of the Bible (KJV), but it is the result of poor translating from the Greek language in which the book of Acts was originally written. Other translations properly render the Greek word pascha as passover, not Easter.

Note what The Westminster Dictionary of the Bible has to say about this on page 145:

“Easter. Originally the spring festival in honor of the Teutonic goddess of light and spring known in Anglo-Saxon as Eastre. As early as the 8th century the name was transferred by the Anglo-Saxons to the Christian festival designed to celebrate the resurrection of Christ. In A.V. [Authorized Version] it occurs once (Acts 12:4), but is a MISTRANSLATION.”

Also notice the following from the Easton's Bible Dictionary, Thomas Nelson Publ.:

"EASTER - originally a Saxon word (Eostre), denoting a goddess of the Saxons, in honour of whom sacrifices were offered about the time of the Passover. Hence the name came to be given to the festival of the Resurrection of Christ, which occured at the time of the Passover. In the early English versions this word [Easter] was frequently used as the translation of the Greek pascha (the Passover). When the Authorized Version [KJV] (1611) was formed, the word `passover' was used in all passages in which this word pascha occurred, except in Acts 12:4. In the Revised Version the proper word, "passover," is always used."

• 8 years ago

The words

Wednesday, Thursday, Friday, Saturday

(Woden's Day, Thor's Day, Freya's Day, Saturn's Day)

are also Pagan.

Its irrelevant

The concepts are not.

Similarly with "Easter"

Through a coincidence of language, the Christian holiday of the resurection of Jesus has a name that may be of pre-Christian origin.

Big flippin deal!

If the New Testament has a reference to this holiday, then the English translation should most certainly use the word "Easter"

That said -- I have no clue whether the holiday celebrating his resurection is mentioned in the New Testament.

Source(s): I am not Christian
  • Yes in a way it does have a place.

What does the term Easter mean? In the Old Testament times the Bible talks about Ashtoreth and Baal worship in I Kings 11:5-6, "For Solomon went after Ashtoreth [Easter in english] the goddess of the Zidonians, and after Milcom the abomination of the Ammonites. And Solomon did evil in the sight of the LORD, and went not fully after the LORD, as did David his father." Ashtoreth is the mother of Baal. The short form is Ashtar or Ishtar and the English form of the word is "EASTER". Easter is nothing other than the mother of Baal and the celebration or worship of Ashtoreth is forbidden in the Old Testament Scriptures. Look at the Scriptures in Judges 2:13-14, "And they forsook the LORD, and served Baal and Ashtoroth. And the anger of the LORD was hot against Israel…" Easter is Ashtoreth! EASTER IS AN EVIL WOMAN!

• 8 years ago

Easter was injected in scripture in some tralslations. As stated this is a Pagen worship staryed by the Roman, Catholic Church. Look it up and you will see the information on this pagan holiday. Passover is the true abd accurate time and Holy day.

http://propheticnewsfortheendtimes.lefora.com/

Seekers of the Truth:

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 8 years ago

Easter occurred after the crucifixation ... in celebration to await the second coming ... not pagan at all, dumazz above ...

yet was man's naming of a holiday, and not scriptural ... I disagree with easter cause they celebrate death , but poor Jesus was the scapegoat for others to glory, so in one aspect, good that He got to ascend home ... but we shouldn't repeat past mistakes and each be responsible for their own ... thus no more scapegoating of having one bear sins for many ... just so something else can take the glory ... it's a totally mean practice ...

Upon researching, crown of thorns is actually a sorcery technique used to draw out the inner being of a perceived enemy ... excuse me, but how was someone who wanted a better way have enemity place a crown of thorns upon his head ... and did you know, it's now also a fish in the tropics, a living starfish type called a crown of thorns that only devours living coral ... if we had any influence with nature, couldn't we change that to devour dead coral and refresh the coral reefs in carribean countries??? devouring living coral causes harm to all wildlife, and us in directly ... except for the beauty we would lose in the sea ... they've been hitting these creatures up with baking soda, ironically, baking soda is a counter for acid ... so these creatures are astral beings , and baking soda which is a contraceptive to them ... so they'll decrease in numbers .... but i think they need a new food source ... dead rather than living coral ...

Another sorcery technique assosiated with crown of thornws, is a wreath of rushes ... those who are on the side of Jesus being harmed and tormented with addiction ... consider this next time you pass a vagavon on the street due to addiction ...

Easter only correlates to the wiccan/pagan holidays of celebrating spring ... sheesh ... but i believe wicca and catholicism have merged on quite a few venues ... should would benefit many ...

Source(s): OmG ... I can't stand walls of text ... does anyone even read those copy and pasted formats >>> So Áññòýĭñģģ
  • DaveD
    Lv 6
    8 years ago

No. The modern English term Easter developed from the Old English word Ēastre or Ēostre, which itself developed prior to 899. The name refers to Eostur-monath (Old English "Ēostre month"), a month of the Germanic calendar attested by Bede, who writes that the month is named after the goddess Ēostre of Anglo-Saxon paganism. Bede notes that Ēostur-monath was the equivalent to the month of April, yet that feasts held in her honor during Ēostur-monath had gone out of use by the time of his writing and had been replaced with the Christian custom of the "Paschal season". (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Easter).

The use of the word "Easter" has nothing to do with the actual worship of the pagan goddess, but rather using the name of the month. As such it is as innocuous as using the names of Roman gods to name the days of the week as we currently do.

• 8 years ago

Absolutely not!

Easter is of Pagan origin, which is in conflict with Bible teachings.

• 8 years ago

Just like Christmas and Halloween, Easter is Pagan in origin.

• OK
    Lv 6
    8 years ago

It doesn't matter. Christians will always deny the etymology of the word in favor of their myths.

There is an abundance of information about the origins of the word.

Have a nice day.

• 8 years ago

The word "Easter" makes me think of candy and pastel colors. And springtime! Jesus isn't the first thought that comes into my mind when I hear that word.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.