camping how do i make a table out of branches?

taking boy scouts camping wondering if there is a site to help me with making furniture out of branches

7 Answers

Relevance
  • chris
    Lv 7
    8 years ago
    Favorite Answer
    • Login to reply the answers
  • Mike
    Lv 7
    8 years ago

I'm sort of between Chris and Kim on this.

Knowing how to make 'camp gadgets' or 'pioneering crafts' is part of the the advancement criteria for Scouting. So learning how to do this can be a good thing so you can help advise the boys.

However...

If you are not already fairly familiar with these skills yourself, and understand the proper place for using the skills, it is better that you do NOT demonstrate these activities to boys who are quite entirely likely to consider this an open invitation for them to perform similar acts of ''woodcraft'' whenever and wherever they might be camping. Before you train boys in making furniture out of branches, you really should learn basic Leave No Trace principals and concepts and pass those on first. (For first few campouts a boy that sets up a bright orange nylon tent, with battery operated television and game system, eats hot-dogs from a propane stove and is never more than 50 yards from the car/truck/van than he rode in to get to the campsite.... won't really learn a whole lot by seeing some adult chop down a quarter acre of bamboo stalks and trying to weave a chair out of the litter....)

If you haven't already done so - take Scoutmaster Fundamentals training. If you *have* taken that - see what other adult leaders are out there that can help train for some of these skills. (And look around for the Woodbadge training - - highly recommended)

Source(s): Eagle Scout. Asst Scoutmaster. LNT Trainer. Woodbadge. Powderhorn. et-c.
  • 8 years ago

What a marvelous way of destroying the natural environment !

Great fun tearing up and chopping down trees just to try a build some thing that the little dears will never want to use!

And as for light camp fires when there are perfectly good camp stove available these days!

There is nothing like going home after a camp knowing that the little darling will go forth in to the wilderness starting forest fires and totally destroy the natural habitat of wild life!

The sheer joy of joining a long line of nature vandals leaving their indelible mark on a fast shrinking world!

• 8 years ago

You don't really need "furniture". For a table use a flat rock or split piece of wood, or your tarp or a stump. Boy Scouts don't make furniture, they practice "low impact" camping, so the place looks more natural when you leave than when you got there.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 4 years ago

It depends on the meal - and the branch of the military. For the Navy (13 years ago), breakfast was sausage or bacon, eggs (reconstituted from powder - definitely NOT made to order!), cereal, fruit, etc. That was the best meal of the day. Lunch was (as someone else said) largely "normal" food, but not four-star restaurant material, just a half-step down from ... Sherry's or Denny's maybe. And as a third poster said, you don't often notice the taste because you do eat VERY quickly and you're hungry enough to eat *almost* anything (I did manage to remain vegetarian even there, though.) The desserts were VERY tasty! Drinks had many options: milk, juice, water (of course), on rare occasion, soda.

• 8 years ago

My preference is teaching Boy Scouts to Leave-No-Trace, not including ripping-up an area of forest to leave behind furniture made out of branches to invite others to use the same campsite and compact the soil as well as leaving scars on adjacent trees. Then, you are going to build a big campfire, I suppose, and leave a ring of smoke-scarred rocks in the site as well. High-impact camping was old-style Boy Scouts long before overpopulation made us aware that people can love the forest to death.

• casey
    Lv 5
    8 years ago

I would suggest using a flat rock instead, I make small rock tables all the time. Select a flat, thin rock for a tabletop, build a base using a couple of rocks and place your tabletop on it. When you leave scatter the rocks and leave no trace.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.