What did Jesus mean to "No be Part of the World"?

I have referenced (2) different times he stated it and a few different Bible Translations for clarification.

John 17:16

American Standard Version (ASV)

They are not of the world even as I am not of the world.

Lexham English Bible (LEB)

They are not of the world, just as I am not of the world.

James 4:4

New International Version (NIV)

You adulterous people,[a] don’t you know that friendship with the world means enmity against God? Therefore, anyone who chooses to be a friend of the world becomes an enemy of God.

New Living Translation (NLT)

You adulterers![a] Don’t you realize that friendship with the world makes you an enemy of God? I say it again: If you want to be a friend of the world, you make yourself an enemy of God.

Please explain these 2 Scriptures as it applies to us TODAY....

Your thoughts..... ;)

16 Answers

Relevance
  • 8 years ago
    Best Answer

MODERN-DAY religion is, for the most part, very much a part of the world, so it shares in the world’s celebrations and reflects its nationalistic spirit. Its clergy often acknowledge that fact, and many of them like it that way. In sharp contrast, Jesus said of his true followers: “They are no part of the world, just as I am no part of the world.”—John 17:16.

What does the record show as to Jehovah’s Witnesses in this regard? Have they given convincing evidence that they are no part of the world?

The early Bible Students were well aware that true Christians would be no part of the world. The Watch Tower explained that because Christ’s anointed followers were sanctified and begotten by holy spirit so that they might share in the heavenly Kingdom, they were by this act of God set apart from the world. Additionally, it pointed out that they were under obligation to shun the spirit of the world—its aims, ambitions, and hopes, as well as its selfish ways.—1 John 2:15-17.

How could one become guilty of spiritual adultery? In a spiritual sense, adultery denotes unfaithfulness to Jehovah on the part of those who are joined to him in a covenant. Natural Israel in the Law covenant was, therefore, guilty of spiritual adultery because of false religious practices, some of which included sex-worship rites and disregard for the seventh commandment. (Jeremiah 3:8, 9; 5:7, 8; 9:2; 13:27; 23:10; Ho 7:4) For similar reasons Jesus denounced as adulterous the generation of Jews in his day. (Mt 12:39; Mr 8:38) Likewise today, if Christians who are dedicated to Jehovah and who are in the new covenant defile themselves with the present system of things, they commit spiritual adultery.—James 4:4.

Being a friend to this world is to do as this world does and since Satan is the God of this world(1 John 5:19) he controls everything, he offered Jesus all the Kingdoms of this world how could he offer something he doesn't have?

(2 Corinthians 4:4) among whom the god of this system of things has blinded the minds of the unbelievers, that the illumination of the glorious good news about the Christ, who is the image of God, might not shine through.

Source(s): it-1 p. 54; my 2 cents!
  • Anonymous
    8 years ago

The original Greek word used there was cosmos. Even today cosmos means people. So Jesus was telling his followers not to be like the people of that day. Today people are even worse, so that should be a warning for us today, the stay out of the world, or stay away from worldly people as much as we can. Remember also what was said a 2 Cor. 4:4

2 Corinthians 4:4

King James Version (KJV)

4In whom the god of this world hath blinded the minds of them which believe not, lest the light of the glorious gospel of Christ, who is the image of God, should shine unto them.

So stay away from the world, not the planet Earth.

• ?
    Lv 7
    8 years ago

I.E. If you are living for this World. And not into the Word of GOD. And do not believe in Jesus Christ. You is an Enemy of Gods.

God Bless Ya,

Chicago Bob

imasinner

There is more joy in Jesus in one day.

Than there is in the World 365/24/7

I know, I tried them both.

Numbers 6:24-26

Source(s): I am a Friend of Gods
  • Anonymous
    8 years ago

Well, one way in which Christ's followers are not part of the world is found at 1 John 2:15-17 "Do not be loving either the world or the things in the world. If anyone loves the world, the love of the Father is not in him; because everything in the world—the desire of the flesh and the desire of the eyes and the showy display of one’s means of life—does not originate with the Father, but originates with the world. Furthermore, the world is passing away and so is its desire, but he that does the will of God remains forever."

Most people today are motivated by fleshly desires, the pursuit of pleasure, materialism and greed, and the abuse of power. In order to be Jehovah's friend or to be on his side, we want to avoid putting the things of the world in first place, and instead place spiritual matters in first place. Matthew 8:20 says that Jesus had no place to lay his head, meaning he did not pursue material things, but rather the doing of his father's will. And for this, he received his reward.

Paisley

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Suzy
    Lv 7
    8 years ago

Those who truly follow Jesus Christ are not to have anything to do with worldly issues. Such as politics, government and even going along with movies or music that would not be to God's liking. Even saluting the nations flag that you live under is not something to do. YES, we by all means respect it but not pledge our allegiance to it. Our allegiance is to Jehovah God ONLY. No government can get us out of the mess mankind has made.

Godly things have to be on your minds and in our hearts at all times, even wearing clothes that are showing more skin than what should be seen or coloring our hair the color of the rainbow, tattoos and such are not up to the Standard of God.

• 8 years ago

What is being a friend with the world mean today? To me it means being an enemy to Earth..Industry and consumerism , capitalism are destroying (not to mention power lust and greed) our environment. Homeless people prove it is possible to live in today's world without a dime in their pocket and their only hope is God and the people who has abundance and throws away become these poor people's gift from God, its these people who I believe will inherit the earth..Clean ..and free..someday there will be plenty for all..It could be today if Religions gave all they owned and followed Christ , but Jesus promised someday to restore justice and peace. Why do Christains fear a new world order? I say bring about conditions which promote Jesus's return to make good on his promise.As many people in the world with wealth to burn and one human starves to death , that is a great injustice , and you don't have to be a friend to that Republican party to be friends with Jesus.

• 8 years ago

He means we are IN the world...obviously, but we are not to be OF the world. That means though we are IN a world where many people reject the notion of God, sin, heaven, hell, etc. we should not be conformed to those notions and be LIKE those people. We should remain (as James 1:27 says) unspotted or uncorrupted by the philosophies and pursuits of the flesh that say righteousness is overrated.

• 8 years ago

Grace unto you, and peace,

from God our Father and the Lord Jesus Christ.

These things, which are all allegory: Galatians 4:26,

and written aforetime for our learning: Romans 15:4,

with ensamples for our admonition: 1Corinthians 10:1-11

mean

law is not grace

lie is not truth

leaven is not pure

earth is not heaven

sacrifice is not mercy

confusion is not peace

so the fulness of Christ is

Graceful, Merciful, Peaceful

as if Mother + Father = Son

for unmerciful Jesus was a Son of a B*tch,

and if he returned result would be ww wail

The grace of our Lord Jesus Christ with you all. Amen.

• Anonymous
    8 years ago

From 1 John: "Love not the world, nor the things that are in the world. If any man loves the world, the love of the Father is not in him. For all that is in the world, the lust of the flesh, and the lust of the eyes, and the pride of life, is not of the Father, but of the world. And the world passes away, and the lust of it, but he that does the will of God lives forever."

Fred Hoehn, www.livingwater.bugs3.com

Source(s): The Holy Bible, King James Version
  • 8 years ago

This world and the things of it- the pleasures, sins, and even pains- are all temporary. We are not to be a part of the world- we are not to think as the sinful mind would think, we are not to act as the sinful world would act, and we are not to take part in the things that are of this world (read- not of God)

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.