Anonymous

Need help choosing a university from the ones I've gotten accpeted into.?

So, I've gotten accepted into the school of architecture in 7 universities and I have absolutely NO idea how I'm going to pick. I've never been to the states before so I don't have much knowledge about the areas except glimpses from google maps and pictures. Here are the universities.

1) Syracuse University (Syracuse, NY)

2) Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute (Troy, NY)

3) Pratt Institute ( new york city, NY)

4) Virginia Tech (Blacksburg, V)

5) North Carolina State University (Raleigh, NC)

6) Notre Dame (South Bend, IN)

7) Carnegie Mellon (Pittsburgh, P)

* Also, money isn't an issue. So, please any information or opinions would be great. About the schools (specifically the school of architecture), the areas, the reputation...ext.

• xo379
    Favorite Answer

Carnegie Mellon is one of the top schools in the country in general, and CM is ranked number 7 in the top 10 schools for (undergrad) architecture by Architectural Digest. Syracuse is ranked number 2. Pratt is ranked number 9. Therefore, I would suggest narrowing it down to those 3 (even though Notre Dame is one of the best schools in the country in general)

You will most likely get more personal attention at Carnegie Mellon, since class sizes are smaller than at Notre Dame. It's near Pittsburgh, which is a decent city. It's certainly not New York, but at least it's a city. Sports are not a huge deal at Carnegie Mellon. It's near other schools (ie. U Pitt) so you can go to the other schools to meet people and party. The campus is very pretty. The academics are very strong and people work hard.

Syracuse is sort of in the middle of nowhere and it's quite cold. People do party more than at Carnegie Mellon, and it's generally regarded as a fun school. However, its reputation in architecture is very good (obviously.)

Pratt is more artsy than the others, and the atmosphere is different since it's in a city (NYC--Brooklyn.) The only problem with being in a city is that there is less of a 'campus feel' and the campus might not feel as close--however, Brooklyn is sort of its own little community, so you're less likely to feel 'lost' than if you were at a school in Manhattan. Brooklyn has a lot of cultural opportunities--so much to do.

So...that being said, up to you!

• maxi

those are all outstanding colleges. you're able to have carried out your due diligence ere now. That being mentioned, you opt for a elementary source in (Canada?) to steer you. are you able to get in a hurry to 3 authority in shape on your u . s . a . to work out which of those is authentic for you?

• Dave C

Money no object? I would thing CMU or Pratt.