Smart people please help with multiple choice best answer 10 points?

The frequency of individuals who cannot taste phenylthiocarbamide (PTC) is approximately 0.3. The inability to taste this bitter substance is due to a recessive allele. Assume that there are only two alleles in the population (namely, tasters, T, and nontasters, t) and that the population is in Hardy-Weinberg equilibrium. What is the frequency of the recessive allele in the population?

A. 0.45

B. 0.30

C. 0.15

D. 0.55

Please provide an explanation to your answer

Favorite Answer

Looks like this got double posted. Here is my answer again:

D.

It's my best guess. We know that if frequency is 50% (everybody is a carrier), then 25% of their posterity will express the recessive trait. You are looking for something that would produce 30% (slightly greater than 25%), so D, or 55% makes sense.

Also, I want to say that the odds work something like .55 * .55 = 0.3025. That means that there is a 30% chance that two carriers will get together and both pass on the recessive trait to their offspring.

Source(s): Pharmacy student

D