Left turn CAR ACCIDENT (OHIO)?

I am curious as if I should go to court to appeal the ticket or at least not be fully blamed for the car accident, or something else. PLEASE AND THANK YOU.

I was in the left turn lane while it was still green waiting for oncoming traffic to clear up for an open spot to turn and the light eventually turns yellow and I see a car1 in lane 1 slowing down as they are coming down a hill and car2 coming down the same speed as car1, but they were in lane 3 (closest to the left turn lane). They both started to slow down at the same time so I thought it was my chance to turn since I was already in the intersection and the light was about to turn red and i would cause traffic for the drivers to the right and left of me. As I am in the process of turning, car2 t-bones me and car1 is at the red light.

After the accident, there were no injuries and we moved our cars to one of the streets off of the main road and I called the police to notify them of the accident. Since the police didn't know whether it was university property or city property, the campus police arrived shortly after and retrieved our drivers licenses and insurance cards and just made sure both drivers were okay. (Since I have never been in an accident before, I asked the cop a few questions about what should be done about this situation) Then the officer asked us how it happened, and the other driver just states that he could not have stopped because the light turned yellow right as he was almost at the line and I didn't say much until I could speak with the officer alone. I told the officer what was described ^^^^^^ above and he actually told me he thought it was the other driver's fault and he could probably be the one receiving the citation. After the city officer showed up (about an hour later.....) the campus officer gave him our cards and information and the city officer started to walk up to us and just tells me "I will be with you in a second, ma'am." (I haven't even said anything). He tells the other driver to come over to his vehicle and they talk for about 10-15 mins about something and then let's the driver leave. I wait another 20 or so minutes while he writing down stuff in his vehicle and then waves me over to come to his window.

THIS WILL MAKE YOU **** YOUR PANTS!

He already had the ticket written out and just asked me what my SSN and phone number was and asked me to sign the citation. So I asked him, "Shouldn't I be sharing my side of the story?" and he just says, "The other driver told me his story, and pretty much told me yours." So I start to explain what really happened and he interrupts and says, "I cannot side with anyone because I was not here during the accident." ISN'T THAT JUST CONTRADICTING HIMSELF???

**All there was on the citation for my offense was "Left turns".

Favorite Answer

Wow Mike TL you don't know anything about laws do you? In Ohio you ARE allowed to pull forward into the intersection on green in anticipation of making a left turn.

ORC 4511.13 C(1)

Vehicular traffic, streetcars, and trackless trolleys facing a steady red signal alone shall stop at a clearly marked stop line, but if none, before entering the crosswalk on the near side of the intersection, or if none, then before entering the intersection and shall remain standing until an indication to proceed is shown except as provided in divisions (C)(2) and (3) of this section.

Given that the law specifically allows a driver to enter an intersection on green in anticipation of turning left AND the law states that the driver shall stop before entering the intersection while the signal is red.

and in 4511.13 section B paragraph 1 states that:

Vehicular traffic, streetcars, and trackless trolleys facing a steady circular yellow or yellow arrow signal are thereby warned that the related green movement is being terminated or that a red indication will be exhibited immediately thereafter when vehicular traffic, streetcars, and trackless trolleys shall not enter the intersection.

Therefore the guy should not have even been going through the yellow light. The yellow light doesn't mean to press on the gas to get through the light so you don't have to sit through the red light. Yellow means slow down and stop.

• XyMiC

Sorry to say, you can't really do much..esp. in cases where Left turn or hitting a car from behind is involved. You're usually automatically at fault in these cases even if it's not actually your fault just because YOU initiated left turn.

I had very similar accident to yours in January. I made left turn because it was safe when a mustang decided to brake much later, slipped because of little snow and hit my car. My car was totaled. The guy even came up to me and said "yeh, rear wheel drive cars(mustang) take while to brake in snow." The cop automatically put me at fault ONLY because I took the left turn and disrupted oncoming car flow even if I had gigantic gap between cars. He said it's the same thing where if car in front of you brakes hard and you end up crashing into it, it's your fault even if it's really not. Officer also gave me citation for "failure to yield or stop." End of the month thing, I guess.

Two things you could do though is:

1.) Go meet the Officer and explain what EXACTLY happened, nicely!!. Don't blame him or attack him with words. He probably won't do much since his reputation/job would be in trouble, but he might waive the citation if anything. Draw a detailed diagram to give him a better idea.

2.) Explain EVERYTHING to your Insurance Claims Adjuster in FULL DETAIL about what happened because he has power to NOT put you at fault (or split fault) if he thinks YOU were right in making left turn. Make sure you draw a nice, detailed diagram to show your accident.

http://accidentsketch.com/ is good site to draw accident sketch.

Fighting a ticket will only waste your time, esp. in Left turn/hitting car from behind cases.

Other than that, be safe out there!

• MikeTL

You are at fault. You made an improper left turn which resulted in a collision. Unless you have a green arrow you have no right of way in making a left turn. It is your responsibility to yield the right of way to the other motorists.

You should not be in the middle of the intersection period. Even with a green light, you need to remain behind the white line until clear to turn.

When the light turns yellow, that is not a signal to turn or hurry up.

You broke the law, you got the ticket pay up.

I have no idea why you think this crash was not your fault. You were crossing the opposing lanes of traffic in an unsafe manner, you are required to yield to traffic when turning left.

Bottom line? You pay for insurance! Let the insurance company plead your case, because you just admitted guilt here. They might be able to mitigate some of the fault. As it stands ... the crash was you fault from what I read.

Fight it.