Ti-89 calculator help?

Hi guys, I have a problem with a math problem involving my ti-89, hope you can help!

The problem needs to find the coordinates of the minimum of f(x) = |((x + cosx)^1/2)^2| (it's the square root then squared)

This seems straightforward enough, I first tried just graphing the original equation and using the f3-findminimum function. Unfortunately, this gave me an answer way off (I have the answer key).

Then, I squared the square root function to get f(x) = |x + cosx| and did the same thing. This time, I got the right answer the first time, but upon repeat uses of f3 minimum function my x-coordinate remains correct, but my y-coordinate keeps changing and I can't get the right answer anymore!

Can anyone please help me understand what I'm doing wrong, and how to fix it? Easy 10 points for you math people out there!

Best Answer

1) Graph f(x)

2) F2 > Zoomfit

3) F5 > Minimum

4) Get x-coordinate of minimum

5) Home

6) Plug in x-coordinate (-0.739085) into x for f(x)

7) Push button: Diamond > ENTER

8) Get answer

Source(s): TI-89 Calculator