Trying to get seller to fix leak?

My fiancee and I are looking to buy our first home, but when it came time for inspection, our inspector found a huge water stain on the wall of the basement bathroom. He went outside and looked for possible leaks from there, but did not see anything. Because of that and the placement of the stain, he said worst case scenario it could be a cracked stack. Either way, the stain had moisture, so there is water coming from somewhere. The seller basically is telling us there is no problem and it's not a serious issue (even though they've never investigated it) and are trying to give us a $500 credit for us to do our own investigation after we move in. Our realtor thinks this is fair, since the seller needs to do some other repairs to bring the house up to code for our FHA loan. I am worried about the fact that this could not only potentially be an expensive plumbing job to fix whatever is causing the stain, but there could be water damage and maybe even mold resulting from the water. What do you all recommend in this situation??

• Jeff D
    Favorite Answer

It might be nothing, but unless/until you open the wall you're never going to be sure.

If it were me, I'd ask the seller to take the $500 they're offering you and use it to hire a plumber to come in and open the wall to see what's going on. If it's nothing (or nothing major) then they can get it fixed and the wall repaired for under $500; otherwise, you'll at least know where you stand.

A cracked stack isn't necessarily an expensive fix, but it can be.

Has it rained recently? Is the ground outside that wall pitching toward or away from the house? Could be a landscaping issue. With the water off in the house, use something like mechanics stethoscope or a screwdriver to listen through the wall. Do you hear water running? Is the watermain coming into the house nearby?

Source(s): I'm a plumber with home inspection experience.
  • Bill Z

you are the buyer. threaten to back out of the sale. make the seller check it and get it repaired. of course the real estate agent thinks it's fair. they want to close the deal and get paid. don't do it until you are completely satisfied.