JoeyE asked in Arts & HumanitiesHistory · 8 years ago

What indian tribes (Native Americans) killed their elderly in time of war?

I believe I heard one of my history teachers saying this. Is it true or not? If so, what tribes were they? And, how exactly did they do it? Was it ceremonial?

Favorite Answer

I lived with a traditional native women, who literally wrote the book on natives that the Federal Government and it's departments use. My info comes from her.

I highly doubt that! While different native peoples all have different traditions, and religions, and customs, one thing that is remarkably common is a reverence for elders. The closest I can thing of is the Okanagans, who's older people nearing death would go to a certain area (now the town of Naramata), and die on their own. But, that was their choice.

I suppose it is possible, but, I have never heard of such a thing, and based on my experience living with natives, it is very hard to imagine.

• Thomas

Your history teacher is not fit to teach if that is the nonsense they are spouting. That is an utter fabrication.

Sounds like the "history" teacher reads fanciful novels about Indians written by White people and takes it as "fact." This is unheard of in my tribe and related people (Muskogean).

And look at your responses, you've got tribal members from all corners of North America saying this is bogus. I hope you take that to heart and realize teachers can actually be full of crap sometimes. And actually, what you can do is ask your teacher about the source for this claim. Historical facts should be from a reliable, and if possible peer-reviewed/academic, sources.

NO Indian tribe killed their elderly.

Our elders are taken care of "first" before all others. Because they hold the knowledge of our people and are our teachers, they are honored and respected. The elders in our Nations hold a lot of power

Anishinaabe (Chippewa/Ojibwe)

.

No! Of course that could never be done! Our elders are honored and respected and are our most valued people! Your teacher is very badly misinformed. The only people who killed our elders were white soldiers, who also killed infants and pregnant women.

Source(s): Navajo
  • Your idiot teacher was likely talking about the ridiculous myth that gets tossed around about Inuit people.....where an Elder would hop on a passing ice float and sail off to die from starvation or freezing to death.........which doesn't hold a lot of truth behind it.

Source(s): Mississauga Ojibwe....no killing of Elders here.

I bet your teacher read some fictional novel and got his info from there. That sort of thing never happened out here in Calif either.

Source(s): Calif NDN
  • none. and if your history teacher told you such a thing they should be fired immediately.

we honor our elders, unlike the dominant culture who warehouses them in something they call nursing homes. is that a ceremony of yours?

Source(s): mohawk