promotion image of download ymail app
Promoted

Do you have to play Mass Effect 2 before Mass Effect 3?

I'm on PS3, so Mass Effect 1 isn't even an option.

8 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    8 years ago
    Favorite Answer

you dont have to, you can watch the story recap from youtube instead:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rBdd2G9oLiA

Youtube thumbnail

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • Fred
    Lv 7
    8 years ago

Mass Effect 3 is a great game but it's a terrible entry point. You need the backstories to understand the storyline and feel an emotional connection, so you should definitely pick up Mass Effect 2. I personally think you should absolutely play Mass Effect 1 first so if PS3 is your only option I think you'll miss a lot. The interactive comic book that comes with ME2 on PS3 does provide you with some backstory and choices, but there are some ommissions that make later subplots in the next two games confusing. For instance, the comic has no mention of geth (the enemy faction in ME1) or the cipher (a major plot point). The comic also contradicts some plot points from ME1.

• 8 years ago

The storyline picks up several different sidelines in ME2, ME3 ends those lines.

ME1 just starts to explain the universe the game is based upon.

Yes, if you dont care about storylines and how did they get there, you can play ME3 as a plain shoot em up with twists, and worse game ending ever, Its still worse if you have played ME2.

Dont read if you dont want plot to be ruined:

... but they do make the coward of the heroes of the game.

• Anonymous
    8 years ago

Playing ME2 can help you have a better understanding of the ME3, but it is not necessary if you just want to play a good shooter and you're more concerned with the game mechanics over story or any form of immersion. You may get the game here to enjoy playing it.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 8 years ago

You don't have to but the storylines and available characters are changed dramatically in ME3 if you don't.

• Anonymous
    8 years ago

You really should. That way you have more options. They are both really good games.

• 8 years ago

You should to understand the storyline.

• 8 years ago

you should if you want to know the story line

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.