Would I need a filter for a mystery snail?

I'm considering adding a mystery snail (or two) to my betta's tank. I'm upgrading the size of my betta's tank, so should I look for one with a filter? Or is a filter not really necessary? And how many should I get? Any other advice I should know? I've been doing a lot of research on them, but haven't had all my questions answered. Any tips would be appreciated. :)

Favorite Answer

A filter would be recommended for any tank. It will make your job easier and keep your fish and snails healthier. Instead of mystery snails, I'd recommend Nerite snails, especially zebra Nerite snails. The problem with mystery stairs is that they can breed, and this could lead to a growing snail population problem. Nerite snails cannot breed in freshwater, so, if you are going to buy more than one, you don't have to worry about them multiplying. Good luck!

Source(s): Owned a Betta tank with zebra Nerite snails

First, I would personally always look for a tank with a filter, it keeps up on the cleaning with less water changes than in an unfiltered tank.

Secondly, apple snails (other name for these snails) can grow to be the size of a small/medium sized apple. Although they can survive in smaller tanks, like bettas, they thrive better in bigger spaces. That, and the snails can be very messy. Even if you are diligent with water changes and gravel siphoning, they eat and poop a lot, and the slime can often be seen hanging off their shells. One more thing to consider, if you have anything below a 10 gallon, a dead snail can kill off any fish in your tank by making the water toxic because of the way they decompose. So either watch it like a hawk (which is hard, because they often "play dead", or make sure you have a big enough tank to be able to clean it good.

Enough with the negatives now, if you're aware of all that, apple snails are very entertaining. They love to pick up algae wafers or other treats and eat it on their foot like a table. Depending on the betta's personality, he/she might pick on the snail and he snail may need to regrow antenna if they are damaged, but in general they get along well.

Source(s): Experience with bettas and apple snails.

Filter it.

By adding a snail you are increasing the waste produced in the tank, and the oxygen demand. Mystery snails are also not as forgiving of crappy water as betta are. You betta will also appreciate the better conditions.

Ian

The tank is large sufficient for the ones two ... so a filter out isnt ABSOULTELY neccasary (im pondering logically) If you do a water difference 10% might be two times a weekk.... And you'll be able to try to get a sponge filter out then. Sponge filters have well flows for bettas and wont get caught. OR like desire set placed a few decor or vegetation across the consumption so he's going to give up getting caught. Or placed a pre-filter out sponge over the consumption (fluval company, three$ at puppy retailer) and your betta can be secure.

Filter is definitely a must. Two might breed, and when they breed.... oh boy lol. I'd probably just get 1 snail and u can get like 2-3 ghost shrimps :). Snails like to eat algae wafers, and shrimps just eat anything lying on the floor XD. I have one they are easy to take care of.

Please so not put a betta in with a mystery snail I just had to save it from the betta. Luckily I was watching it when it happened but the betta tried to make a meal out of one its tentacles/eyes. I now have to figure out what to do with the betta.

You have to have a filter to keep a betta, otherwise the fish is swimming in burning ammonia and nitrites. The snail needs it too.

no you don't need a filter for a snail

Source(s): know from experience