Is my hydrangea dead?

i bought two hydrangeas about a month and a half ago. one had alot of green already and the other looked like a stick with roots and one green leaf. i was assured both were in good health even though one was different than the other. i planted them at the same time in the biggest planter i could find in the soil the man at tractor supply suggested. partial sun in the a.m. just like i was told. the plant that was green is now doing well. the plant that looked like a stick with one leaf looks the same except now the leaf has fallen off.. so do i need a new plant or is this one going to make an appearance in a month or two?

2 Answers

Relevance
  • 9 years ago
    Favorite Answer

Hydrangeas are deciduous shrubs whose normal times for going dormant, leafing out, blooming, etc are changed by the plant wholesaler. This confuses the planed when you plant it on the ground but is normal.

It sounds like the one plant that has no leaves remains dormant so let it be. These dormant stems can remain dormant as late as mid-to-late May on Year 1 in your garden so, take no action until then (that is, prune them). The root system should still be alive and may trigger some growth (new stems) from the crown when the plant decides to awaken. Keep the soil evenly moist and well mulched with 3-4" of mulch at all times.

Note that it will not be necessary to fertilize this year. Hydrangeas do not need much fertilizer and will do fine this year with the one that came on the plastic pot (I am referring to those round pellets that you may be able to see on the potting soil). If you live in the northern half of the country, fertilize it with a 1/2 cup of either compost, composted manure, cottonseed meal or apply a general-purpose slow-release chemical fertilizer like Osmocote in June. If you live in the southern half, apply fertilizer twice, in April and July-ish. You can also apply weak fertilizers like liquid seaweed or coffee grounds during the growing season but stop ALL fertilizers by the end of summer (July or August) so the nitrogen in the fertilizers does not keep the plant active as winter and early frosts approach.

• 9 years ago

Give a little time.If the roots looked good then it should be ok.Do not over water,but dont let the soil get too dry either.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.