20 Answers

Relevance
  • Favorite Answer

She ain't in the past tense, you know.

Yes, I have a CD of her best hits and she's always been one of my favorites, even though I'm a Yank. Besides WCOD, she is also well known for "We'll Meet Again," and her recording of that number is heard at the end of Stanley Kubrick's "Dr. Strangelove" when all the nuclear weapons are blossoming into mushroom clouds.

Besides her sweet, homey voice, she also has world-class teeth. Very British. You don't see teeth like that on an American.

• Lynn
    Lv 7
    9 years ago

I remember the name, as well as the song. But as a yank, I wasn't raised hearing that

singer on the radio or on records. I gather she was a popular singer of the time with

a national popularity, for singing patriotic songs for the British empire. She has the

look of an American though, and has the nicest smile and a very pretty voice.

• Anonymous
    9 years ago

I was a small child during that time. I do remember her on the radio, though! i knew most of the songs by heart, I was only 4 years old but that is what I liked to do best , listen to music on radio and memorize the songs. I liked the war songs the best, you know the ones that said, We Would win!

• 9 years ago

I remember hearing her recordings on the radio in WW2. I was just a kid but my memory is scary. Ask my wife.

Saw her photos and some film where she visited the troops. Lovely woman and the image that most men of that era picture English girls to look like. That is until Julie Christie and Sarah Brightman came along.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Keith
    Lv 6
    9 years ago

I was only very vaguely aware of the song and don't remember hearing of this artist. This is the first time I have ever really listened to this song. I really love it. I am into the nostalgia of that era and I don't know how this one slipped my attention. A beautiful song, and a beautiful woman. Thanks for posting this.

• Mags
    Lv 5
    9 years ago

She is still alive and is either 94 or 95 I believe. She has never lost her popularity ever since she became famous and will always be brought on stage for special events, especially anything connected with our armed forces here in the U.K.

• robin
    Lv 7
    9 years ago

She was on television a couple of weeks ago,she is still well, an will be remembered by all the old soldiers as a pinup.

• 9 years ago

No, not her.

I thought I remembered the name, I was thinking she was an actress during the 40's.

• Dinah
    Lv 7
    9 years ago

The only time I heard her name was in Pink Floyd's The Wall lyric. Now I understand, reading your answers.

• Kini
    Lv 7
    9 years ago

I know of her singing during the war.

We'll Meet Again

I'll Be Seeing You

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.