Can I add canned veggies to a rice cooker?

I have a rice cooker and usually I just add the correct amount of rice and water with a little salt for flavor and then I set the cooker to cook. When the rice is done cooking it automatically switches the cooker from cook to warm just to keep the rice warm. Now what if I added a can of canned carrots to the rice before I cooked it and then hit cook? Would that work and be a good idea? The idea is while the rice is cooking to steam the veggies. I made sure to drain out the water from the can.

Favorite Answer

I add thawed (just set them out first) frozen peas and jarred mushrooms to mine. And some onion powder.

Here's file of recipes from Panasonic:

http://web1.panasonic.com/food_service/cmo/chef_su...

Canned veggies are usually mushy and soft to begin with, so I believe if you add them to the raw rice they will be overcooked by the time the rice is ready. I would heat the veggies separately and then add them as soon as the rice is done by mixing the two together and serve.

They would be overcooked. Add the canned vegetables towards the end of the rice cook time

Canned carrots? Ew. :)