i was given a boat and trailer, from a person that got it from someone else and has no titile,?

I was given a boat from a relative of a friend who gave it to another friend that scraps metal and stuff. He gave it to us, but he has no title, and is the original owner is elderly and unwilling to do anything to get a new one, just wanted to clear off the small property that it sat on for 2years. how can I get my boat and trailer registered?

Favorite Answer

If the boat is worth anything, then you might want to visit your State's DMV or Parks & Wild Life (you don't mention your State, so I'm not sure who would handle this for you, but it will be one or the other) and ask them what they suggest you do.

My guess it that if an original title exists or if you can get a replacement, you could get the owner to sign it over. If not - I don't think you can get it titled or registered in your name.

For sure however, no shipping or boating authority has anything to do with the title or registration of a boat. Neither does a vessel's sea worthiness. As far as "sea worthiness" goes, you can title and register a boat that won't float if you wish - afterall, there are hundreds of them for sale on E-Bay and Craigslist.

John

Contact your nearest Shipping /boating authorities to get the sea worthiness of the boat, & proceed as per their advice.