How to soothe a sore throat?

I know people have asked this before but I have had a cold for a while now and my throat is really bothering me. Does anyone know of some home remedies to soothe my throat? Thanks.

Favorite Answer

Sore Throat - Home Treatment

Home treatment is usually all that is needed for a sore throat caused by a virus. These tips may help you feel better.

Gargle with warm salt water to help reduce swelling and relieve discomfort:

Gargle at least once each hour with 1 tsp (5 g) of salt dissolved in 8 fl oz (240 mL) of warm water.

If you have postnasal drip, gargle often to prevent more throat irritation.

Prevent dehydration. Fluids may help thin secretions and soothe an irritated throat. Hot fluids, such as tea or soup, may help decrease throat irritation.

Use a vaporizer or humidifier in your bedroom.

Warm or cool mist may help you feel more comfortable by soothing the swollen air passages. It may also relieve hoarseness. But don't let your room become uncomfortably cold or very damp.

Use a shallow pan of water to provide moisture in the air through evaporation if you don't have a humidifier. Place the pan in a safe location where no one will trip on it or fall into it.

Do not smoke or use other tobacco products and avoid secondhand smoke. For more information, see the topic Quitting Smoking.

If you suspect that problems with stomach acid may be causing your sore throat, see the topic Heartburn.

Consider taking nonprescription medicine for your symptoms.

Use nonprescription throat lozenges.

Some nonprescription throat lozenges, such as Sucrets Maximum Strength or Spec-T, are safe and effective and have medicine (local anesthetic) that numbs the throat to soothe pain.

Regular cough drops may also help.

Honey and lemon, take one tablespoon of honey and mix it in cap of hot water squeeze in juice of 1/2 a lemon.