Is there a such thing as a ford or chevy carb?

My buddy just got a new motor its in a 70's mustang but it didnt come with a carb ive got a 650 edlbrock on my chevy.350 would that work or is there a difference in the carbs for the two?

6 Answers

Relevance
  • 9 years ago
    Favorite Answer

Not really.. Its all about the carb bolt pattern and throttle linkage.

Spreadbore or squarebore intake.

The edelbrock is a dual pattern carb that will bolt to spread or square bore intakes. Its a squarebore plate though and may have a vac leak on some spreadbore intakes. This is cured by a spread bore to square bore $30 adapter plate.

The edelbrock carb will need a ford linkage adapter

• 9 years ago

Yes, there is such a thing as a Chevy and Ford carb, but not really so much in the newer cars as years back when Ford actually made their own parts.

The main thing in the change you ask about is the cfm ratings on the carb as related to the engine, and the fuel input through the various jets in the carbs.

• 9 years ago

There are at least two ways carbs are listed, in this case "square bore" and "spread bore" come to mind. Most Ford intakes are square bore and the Edlebrock 650 I found was a square bore design. So it should work. But you may need a throttle linkage kit to go with it.

• 9 years ago

Yes their is the carb , that is old school to people now that is all i use to work on , my brother had a 67 mustang with a 289 - hp with a holly 500 dual- points dis and it would fly , the good old days now everything efi mutport etc all the computer everything you can think of even nas car is fuel injecting well sorry about that have a god day good luck with all (NO MORE OBAMA)

Source(s): drpeppers
  • How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • BdB
    Lv 5
    9 years ago

throttle brackets, kickdown cables, etc were all different...that and ford never used the QJET which was the chevy carb from the 60s till the late 80s

• Listen to chevyraceman, he said everything you need to know.

Source(s): Experience
Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.